Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How The Hell Do You Set One Of These??

• 05-12-2006 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I could have posted this in Collectables and Antiques, but it must have the lowest post count of any forum, you could almost count it on one hand!

Anywhoo I bought this old Seiko watch sometime ago on eBay and it's working grand. By some miracle I managed to set it to the correct time when I first got it but after a period of not wearing it I need to set the time again and it escapes me as to how you actually set it. I've tried various different options but none seem to work.

I have read quite a bit online about old Seiko watches and it's very difficult to actually understand how the hell these things work.

Can anyone help me set this thing? It's a really lovely watch and it's driving me mad that I got it right the first time and not now!!!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/3379/33906.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Pull out the dial on the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ciaran I wish it were that simple! Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Post in AH 'for traffic' again and you will be banned.
    Moved.

Wasn't posted for traffic Karoma. It was posted as I had hoped to get some kind of answer. I had posted in here before in relation to the same watch, different query. It was two months before someone answered! As I stated at the top of the thread, Collectable's and Antiques has to be the deadest part of forms with a total of 8 threads, two of which are mine.

In fairness, my question is unlikely to be answered here which is why I posted in After Hours. I had looked at all the other possibilities and sections on boards, but I thought Lego or Fitness would be wholly unappropriate. After Hours is everything else, so I felt that was the best place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Hold one button and press the other? Theres only 3 inputs on it, it can't be that complicated :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I would suggest pull out the dial on the right. It may stop at two poitions so do it slowly. Rotate the dial I would expect the triangular brass dohickey on the dial to move clockwise and frame the word "set". Rotate it till it does. Then use the left hand buttons to advance or retard the hands. When you have set them to the correct time. Rotate the dial on the right to advance the triangular brass dohickey until it frames the word "time". Press the button back in. That should work.

Well Karoma didn't seem to understand the logic.
    What is the point in having Collectable's and Antiques if no-one is going to look at it? 8 threads, 25% of which are mine. Two months to get an answer to a question. Why would anyone bother with it? I know what your saying Karoma, but I think exceptions have to be made.

I've been here many years (not using that as an excuse) and regard myself as a responsible user, I've posted in Collectables and Antiques before with a similar query, I looked at another possible forum in which to post. I didn't see any option but to post somewhere else as it was unlikely to get answered here.

Should I have a query and just not let it be answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

eo980 wrote:
    What is the point in having Collectable's and Antiques if no-one is going to look at it? 8 threads, 25% of which are mine. Two months to get an answer to a question. Why would anyone bother with it?

I look at it........quite a lot actually, tis a pity there wasnt more going on in this forum, but what can you do? Oh, and I cant help you with your watch, sorry :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Some Seikos have an instruction label stuck inside the backplate.

Guys, especially Hagar, thanks for the advice. I actually got it sorted eventually myself. It wasn't obvious and was more luck than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Of course, the fact that its a 70s Seiko means that its neither really antique nor collectable - just an old watch, so you're really posting in entirely the wrong place.

Lovejoy.

Advertisement