Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want your Iraqi rare or well done?

Options
  • 05-12-2006 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Soldiers roll up in a Hummer. Suddenly, the whole right half of your body is screaming in agony. You feel like you've been dipped in molten lava. You almost faint from shock and pain, but instead you stumble backwards -- and then start running...

...You've just been hit with a new nonlethal weapon that has been certified for use in Iraq...

...The ADS shoots a beam of millimeters waves, which are longer in wavelength than x-rays but shorter than microwaves -- 94 GHz (= 3 mm wavelength) compared to 2.45 GHz (= 12 cm wavelength) in a standard microwave oven...

Coming to a protest near you... better get the lead body paint out

Death Beam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Mad Yanks wrote:
    The beam produces what experimenters call the "Goodbye effect," or "prompt and highly motivated escape behavior."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Excellent. Must get myself one to deal with the Saturday night taxi ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Sounds pretty damn sore. Although there has been no lasting damage if only 1 person out of 10,000 can last 5 seconds it must be pretty severe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Why can't we all just get along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

so it is like a microwave oven but one that operates without a door and on a much larger scale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

a good way to cook the turkey in the white house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I must get one for clearing a path to the bar in a crowded club.
    The sad thing is though, if it produces a lot of pain but no lasting harm then you can bet it's being used for torture already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

letterman wrote:
    a good way to cook the turkey in the white house

hey you leave the president out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

"the operational prototype, is mounted on a Hummer and produces a beam with a 2-meter diameter. Effective range is at least 500 meters"

Coolest. Christmas present. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A bit late for South Africa but when is this available for Israel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

biko wrote:
    The Israeli authorities only really started investigating 'non-lethal' alternatives around the time that they had to start moving their people out of occupied territories... odd that. This was one of the technologies investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They should invent a "ray-of-sunshine" instead :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The short wavelength means the rays don't penetrate far into your skin so your organs don't heat up as much. Not sure about eyeballs though so best not to look at it even with eyelids closed,

they've also tested out sound - like in sick building syndrome to disperse crowds.
    In more than 10,000 exposures, there were six cases of blistering and one instance of second-degree burns in a laboratory accident, the documents claim.
    But thats volunteers who are free to move away, may be different in crowd situations.

Now where did I leave those micro cube corner reflectors...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Lovely. From Saddam's gas to Bush's rays. Oh, I am sure Bush's raygun is harmless, just like agent orange was reported harmless to Vietnamese when they used it to defoliate plants, only to discover decades later the harmful affects to humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Wiki has pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Hard to say. There was a "casual blurb" on the news this past Monday that the Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources urges anyone with slight allergies to stay indoors for the next week or so.

Had a lady come in to the emergency room on Saturday who went for a 15 minute nature walk in the woods. She was having the worst allergic reaction I'd ever seen in my life! Her eyes looked like they were going to explode they were so swollen! And she was full of hives inside and out, throat swelling shut.

Makes one wonder just what was released into the air and by whom?

Me? I'm staying indoors!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

biko wrote:
    Nah, it's non-lethal, they wouldn't go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Wiki has pictures.

On reading that article it raises an interesting point about the test group being asked to remove contact lenses and other items that could cause "Hot Spots". Now i'm a lens wearer myself and thats conjuring up horrible images of my lenses melted to my eyeballs.

So what are the soldiers manning the thing going to do -

"OK protesters, we are going to shoot you with a heat ray, you have ten seconds to remove all jewlery and contact lenses, 1, 2 .... ah **** it turn the thing on"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

ohh i see a new irish use...the skoby gun, imagine ya had one that acted like a shield around ya...brilliant...

Advertisement