Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New B5 lost tales info

• 05-12-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Taken from
    http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23717
    JMS wrote:
    December 1, 2006

As I write this, we have finished principal photography on "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales," coming in under budget and finishing a full day ahead of schedule.

This first DVD, entitled "Voices in the Dark," covers the same 72 hour period of time as Sheridan travels on board a Presidential Cruiser en route to Babylon 5 from Minbar for a celebration marking the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Interstellar Alliance. One part of the story follows Sheridan as he picks up an unexpected visitor on the edge of Centauri space, Prince Regent Dius Vintari, and a warning about what will come afterward delivered by the techno- mage, Galen. The other part of the story is set aboard Babylon 5, as Colonel Lochley summons a priest from Earth space to deal with a problem that may have dark supernatural overtones. The two parts of the greater story intersect at certain key plot and thematic points, so that they overlap and complement each other while telling separate, but simultaneous, stories.

The first DVD is going to require nearly 200 EFX shots, taking us all over Alliance space, and Babylon 5, which is being redesigned using the latest CGI technology. The same CGI is being used to create virtual sets a la Sin City, but on an even more detailed basis, in many cases integrating them with practical sets based on the original blueprint designs for Babylon 5.

A number of behind-the-scenes pieces were shot for inclusion on the DVD, as well as a number of original short pieces that will be filmed in February which feature glimpses into the future of Babylon 5 and her characters.

We have set-up a temporary webpage of photos from the shoot from my personal collection. These images mark the very first photos to emerge from production.

http://babylon5scripts.com/TLT-JMS-photos.html

For more information, keep an eye on www.babylon5.com as well as Babylon5scripts.com. WB will be integrating the internet as a key component for promoting B5:TLT and we are pleased to be a part of that effort.

JMS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

HI IT IS BEING RELEASED IN THE STATES IN JULY

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7211

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Any ETA on this side of the Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

From Play.com

Babylon 5: Lost Tales
    Pre-order
    Due for release on 03/09/2007

our price: £9.99 Delivered
    RRP: £12.99 You save: £3.00 (23%)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Watched this tonight and its total rubbish as Babylon 5 goes. Both stories are really poor but the first one with Colonel Lochley is a real snozfest. Not to mention that Snogins looks like a bad plastic surgey victim :(

The second one with Sheridan while better is still very meh but has at least some cool B5 one liners. The CGI effects look great but suffers from reusing the exact same shots multiple times. The franchise I think has run its course and if this DVD is any reflection on the direction its going I pray lack of sales kills it off for good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Venom wrote:
    Watched this tonight and its total rubbish as Babylon 5 goes.
    Ah poo. I had feared this, knew on some level that it couldn't work after leaving it so long and some strong names not featuring, with some of the weakest headlining (*cough*Lochley*cough*).

Maybe I'll like it more. Right now, it's on some ship in the middle of the Atlantic slowly making its way towards me. I'll know for sure in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

agree with ixoy on this, i did fear for ot bring crap, i will still give it its fair run but im not going to expect anything from it

Just after watching the first story and while I enjoyed it, it does fall short of the Babylon 5 standard. The concept was interesting but really has nothing to do with the Babylon 5 universe bar the fact that it's set on the station and features Lochley.

The second story looks far better, for the sole reason that it features Sheridan.

I think the main problem with the proposed series of DVD films is that they are going to lack the epic story lines which made Babylon 5 the series such a joy to watch. The real beauty of the series was how the characters evolved and the story contiously evolved and played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Agree with the rest, first 30 minutes were just boring, but after that wasnt too bad. Am I missing something or is there a bit a continuity error with Quantum space, Sheridan said its Vorlorn tech from their homeworld, but Lyta said they weren't allowed to go there for 1000 years, surely theres still 991 years to go? or is there something in the books that covers this?

The Sheridan story is far better than Lochely's. It has more to do with the Babylon 5 universe and could set the basis for some very interesting future stories.

I really liked how referance was made to G'Kar and Dr. Franklin, and how they had gone beyond the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

the 2 episode format just doesnt work for B5, they need to concentrate on just one character or story at a time

I agree the lochley story had nothing to do with either B5, its universe or even lochley for that matter and so was very poor, sheridans story was much more interesting and could develop into something if its pursued in other episodes (if there is any) or books, the 5 seasons of babylon 5 are what they are, some of the best science fiction out there, and these continuations seems to me atm only an attempt to wring the last drops of blood from the franchise, if they cant some up with anything better then the lochley story then let it die before it becomes a parody of itself

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The Sheridan story is far better than Lochely's. It has more to do with the Babylon 5 universe and could set the basis for some very interesting future stories.

I really liked how referance was made to G'Kar and Dr. Franklin, and how they had gone beyond the rim.
    Eh, wasn't Franklin at Sheridan's last bash in the episode where his time (the 20 years Lorien gave him) is up? Is the Sheridan story set in the time after he goes beyond the rim with Lorien?

farohar wrote:
    Eh, wasn't Franklin at Sheridan's last bash in the episode where his time (the 20 years Lorien gave him) is up? Is the Sheridan story set in the time after he goes beyond the rim with Lorien?

Richard Briggs and Andreas Katsulas who played Franklin and G'Kar respectively both passed away in recent years. I thought it was a nice way of paying tribute to them.

Teh extra features contain a tribute to both men and it's quiet nice to hear Bruce Boxlithner and Strayinski talk about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

farohar wrote:
    It shows that they come back :)
    G'Kar has already been back at least once before the telepath war
    because Lyta died in it, so he had to drop her back off at some point
    , so he must come back again in the 11 years between The Lost Tales and Sleeping in Light

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Only got round to watching this last night, I had feared it would be woeful given what some have said but I'd definately rate it above the tv movies save for In The Beginning. They felt like above average filler episodes from the show which isn't all that bad.

Advertisement