Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I meet her again?

Options
  • 04-12-2006 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey. I have a question regarding a girl I recently met in England. I was away with a group of friends for the weekend, and the second night there I met this english girl. She has only lived in england the last 10 years since moving from Kenya.

I met her again the third night I was there, partly because she was good fun, easy to talk to and also very good looking. On the second night we met, I even went back to her place where I unfortunately bumped into her mum!

Anyway, the reason im asking all this is because, we had been talking on the phone the couple of weeks and I only found out last night that she doesn;t have a british passport. So, im thinking now she may only have intentions for one thing, that being to get serious with me and attain citizenship. Of course, that only comes about with marraige, and its not in anyway serious.

Maybe im jumping the gun a bit here but I feel a little worried. Im going back over in a few weeks and I intend to meet up with her but Im not sure should I just ask her straight out what she feels. She is being very forward on the phone, even though we only met 2 nights. She seems very nice and genuine but I dont have any experince when it comes to non-nationals or anything like that. Im obviously hoping that im totally going over the top but I am a little reluctant. She is of african descent and I live in a rural part of Ireland which is not the easiest part of the world to talk about this issue.

Does anyone have any thoughs on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You can always just spend time with her and see how it goes? I mean, it's not like she can force you up to the altar. Enjoy it but if it becomes too pressurised then let her know that you think that. Personally, I think it's a sad reflection on media hype that you think she might only be after you for your passport. She could have picked up a British boyfriend that she could see all the time if she had wanted that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Wow! I'd definitely say that you're being a bit paranoid there OP. Just enjoy being with her and take things as they come. If she brings up marriage you can always run away screaming ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Live for the now OP and in the future if you come to that other obstacle you mentioned then worry about it then. Enjoy yourselves. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyway, the reason im asking all this is because, we had been talking on the phone the couple of weeks and I only found out last night that she doesn;t have a british passport. So, im thinking now she may only have intentions for one thing, that being to get serious with me and attain citizenship. Of course, that only comes about with marraige, and its not in anyway serious.

For one- marrying someone no longer automatically entitles you to citizenship- that all changed a few years back. Its now a fairly tortuous process that can take 6 or 7 years.

Advertisement