Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to write for newspapers

Options
  • 04-12-2006 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

My dream (well one of them! ) is to have my own newspaper column...or at least to be involved in the journalisitc field on a regular basis. John Waters is the man I currently most admire. I've already had a History article published a Limerick Historical Journal and I am interested in furthering my writing career. Do readers have any suggestions as to how? Perhaps I could send commentaries to various newspapers?. I already have five years of thrid level education and do not want to do a Journalism course, in any event courses guarantee nothing. I simply love writing, many people have stated how fluent they think I am, people who don't know me....and I want a medium!
    Thanks, Alan!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 loopylala

Yeah sending your commentaries to publications would be a start. How about sending/e-mailing letters with your opinion to different newspapers, if you keep sending them they might capture the notice of the editor. I think with journalism you have to start off with local, small/regional papers, you already got an article printed in one so maybe you should keep sending stuff into that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Phone the editor first, maybe. Ask him/her if it would be ok to send them some of your work. They'll more than likely say yes, and they'll probably be more likely to pay attention than if it were to arrive on their desk unannounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭pantar_dubh

Freelance. Build portfolio. Interview after you have published a few pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Perhaps start a blog with some of your writing which can serve as an online portfolio and get your name known among fellow bloggers...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭carpenoctem

Ray777 wrote:
    Phone the editor first, maybe. Ask him/her if it would be ok to send them some of your work. They'll more than likely say yes, and they'll probably be more likely to pay attention than if it were to arrive on their desk unannounced.

I agree with this. Start with small publications and do contact the editor beforehand where possible. Nefore you call make sure you have a proposal for an article ready so you know loosely what you're going to say - most editors are very busy so you don't want to be wasting their time on chit-chat plus having something ready will make you more confident. Anyhow, calling first will make them remember your name plus it shows you can take initiative.

For publications where you for some reason can't speak to the editor (sometimes they just won't speak to someone they don't know or you might call 2 or 3 times and can't get hold of them), at least try to always get their name so you can send proposals for their attention. Most submissions arrive simply adressed to the publication/newpaper so if you took the time to find out the name of the editor, you'll probably have a bigger chance of being read.

As with phonecalls, remember to always keep proposals brief and clear. If you haven't done so already, buy a book on writing for newspapers, but make sure it's a good one. A book can't really teach you to be a writer but one that includes information on how to fomrat manuscripts and examples of cover letters and phonecalls are very useful. Also, get the Artists & Writers yearbook - plus make sure you have read and are familiar with a publication before submitting to it to make sure your articles are suitable.

Remember that the most important thing in writing is contacts (at many times even more important that if you can actually write), and that a lot of editors know eachother so it's important to always be weel prepared when you contact somewhere and always be courteous. When you're starting out focus on getting a little list of contacts and a portfolio for yourself by targeting those small publications then you can move on to the bigger places!

Oh, and also, you'll find that many people who work as journalists are happy to help newcomers, so if you ever have an opportunity to make contact with someone more experienced than you, it can be a good idea to try your luck. (Of course, there are aslso some less helpful people so you mightn't always strike lucky).

Hmmm... that might have been an unhelpful ramble... but I tried. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement