Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a guitar, help?

Options
  • 03-12-2006 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey all,

Just a quick question to all guitarists out there, am thinking of buying a guitar and learning how to play, but have limited time this year (final year of college), am planning on teaching myself but am wondering how difficult this is? and how hard would you rate learnign how to play? Also which type of guitar would be best?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

it will take a good bit of practice to get any good, thats more or less universal, but it really varies from person to person. If youre serious about it try and pick up a second hand guitar, my first guitar was a second hand jazz strat which was relatively cheap, still have it today and its very good. Other than that a fender squire might be your best bet. Thats if your looking for an electric.

A nylon string would be great for starting out in the respect that it will build up your finger muscle strength. The strings will toughen up the skin but not to the same painful extent as an acoustic. Also when you play an electric after playing any type of acoustic (nylon included) you will find that its as easy as slicing through soft icecream with a knife, because electrics have lower action (strings are closer to the fretboard) and so you dont have to use the same amount of pressing down on the frets to sound the notes. So you can play a lot faster and with more fluidity. Perhaps start off with a nylon. If anything when you buy an electric you'll have to get an amp too which ups the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I began playing 4 months ago but had 3 years behind me before that and I have gotten quite good within a short space just by teaching myself off the internet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

This should probably be moved to the Instruments forum. Plenty of advice there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Shards wrote:
    Hey all,

Just a quick question to all guitarists out there, am thinking of buying a guitar and learning how to play, but have limited time this year (final year of college), am planning on teaching myself but am wondering how difficult this is? and how hard would you rate learnign how to play? Also which type of guitar would be best?

Thanks in advance :D

Was in the same situation myself. Get an acoustic anyway to start with, you can get a decent guitar for 70euro's. Teaching yourself is tough though. Tried it but unless you've got great discipline I'd advise lessons you get a lot further quicker. Check out night classes in VEC colleges, its much better to have some help than trying to figure it out yourself. Even with books and tabs and that you really need to sit down with someone who knows what their doing and its surprising how quickly you can get some stuff together.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Shards

Ah thanks for all the advice :p , see generally I prefer the way electric guitars sound but as a complete novice (although I can read music quite well due to learning other instruments) I think I'll go for an acoustic. Does anyone know any good guitar shops, first or second hand around town? Will my fingers soon become as smooth as sandpaper? Hmmm, BobbyJoe I'l consider a teacher but I don't know, are there any good ones? and Sweet where are the internet are there sites that help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Shards wrote:
    Ah thanks for all the advice :p , see generally I prefer the way electric guitars sound but as a complete novice (although I can read music quite well due to learning other instruments) I think I'll go for an acoustic. Does anyone know any good guitar shops, first or second hand around town? Will my fingers soon become as smooth as sandpaper? Hmmm, BobbyJoe I'l consider a teacher but I don't know, are there any good ones? and Sweet where are the internet are there sites that help?

If you prefer an electric, then do not start on an acoustic. The amount of times I've seen people get an acoustic, then give up because it wasn't what they wanted is unreal. All because of this ridiculous myth of starting on an acoustic being better for you. Frankly, you'll be learning the same scales and chords, so it make no odds because if your aim is to play electric, then the end result should be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

It's easier to learn from an electric anyway...

Advertisement