Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did she give me her number or not?

Options
  • 03-12-2006 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭

Okay - a girl from another company was over to our office a couple of times this week to sort out some problems. I ended up dealing with her mostly and was immediately attracted to her.

We got on fine and one of the days she left and gave me her mobile number to ring her and let her know if the problem was sorted. Now I had her office number so I'm kind of up in the air now about whether this counts as her giving me her number in a round about way.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to see if she'd like to go for a drink with me but I was just wondering - considering she gave me her number in a work context is it out of line for me to ring her one evening and ask her out or would that be seen as a bit cheeky? Should I wait until I see her again and do it in person? Bear in mind that it could be ages before I see her again, if at all.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Difficult to say really.

Just ring it when the problem is sorted and after you have told her that, just drop in the question " Would you like to go for a meal sometime? That should give you an indication if she's interested or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It may have been a work mobile but you've nothing to lose. Go for it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Call her. Start off thanking her for her help at work. Continue to chat, moving away from work issues slowly. If she drops her professional role and becomes friendly, invite her out for a drink. Worst she can do is say no, then you know. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just call to thank her for sorting out the problem and while i'm on to you ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Like you say, you may never se her again.

Can't loose buddy!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You could always ring her to thank her for her work, move on to less work-related things, and then leave it at that, if you're willing to take the risk that she might ask you.

You see, some women tend not to like being "hit on" like that from my experience. You might do well to play it cool and let her do the chasing. That way you'll know and won't risk the embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wouldn't call asking somebody out for a drink 'hitting on them'. And women don't like being hit on when they don't fancy the guy that's doing it. If they like him it's normally ok.

I don't think she'll be offended and I'm a bit old to be embarrassed if someone says no to me. I was really just wondering if it was acceptable to use the number she gave me in the context of work to ask her out socially.

I'll see how Monday goes but I think I might as well, she's pretty easy going so I doubt she'll mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Have you thought about breaking the machine again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

You'll never know what happens unless you give it a try. What's holding you up? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think this would be completely unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Start stalking her. If she responds positively, you're in, guaranteed*.

*not a guarantee. And don't Stalk her.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Behave!

You could invite her to lunch. Perfectly acceptable from awork point of view and you can get to know her better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

If you have her work number, I'd guess you have her email address too.

Drop her an email, thanking her for taking care of the problem for you, and offering to buy her lunch if she's passing by some-day as a thank you.

You might find she'll be in the area sooner than you think, or she may perhaps suggest a drink after work instead, you never know. Maybe she'll politely shoot you down. Either way, you'll be giving her a subtle hint that you're a little bit interested but leaves her with the option to decline without leaving an awkward working relationship between the two of you if you've got the wrong message....Hey, it's just lunch etc.

Sure, people are right to say it's unprofessional in a sense - But I know more successful couples who met through their working relationships than not....

Good luck lad,

Gil

[Edit: Arse. Didn't see Victor's suggestion about lunch there....Thought it was just more signature....]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

call her to update her with the business then casually ask her out before u drop the phone down. you'd find out her stand on that matter.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

Here's what you say to her: "All this time that I have spent with you has been blissfully fascinating and I want my life to be this way too. So what do you say? Wanna run off with me to the nearest church and tie the knot?" If she's not possessed by the Devil, she will say YES and then you two can live happily ever after :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murrayeel

Here's what you say to her: "All this time that I have spent with you has been blissfully fascinating and I want my life to be this way too. So what do you say? Wanna run off with me to the nearest church and tie the knot?" If she's not possessed by the Devil, she will say YES and then you two can live happily ever after :)

haha!:D what a way to do it.eh?have you tried it yourself?(how was it?:rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

Honestly, all she can do is say no. Life is too short to allow our inhibitions to get in the way of chasing after what we want. Keep us posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I say go for it, faint heart never won fair lady and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dvega

Dam man why are u even thinking about this,just go for it,if it doesnt happen
    all you have to say is at least i tried..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

If it were me and you already had my work phone number, giving you my mobile number with be a "call me about a drink sometime" signal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement