Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planer/thicknesser?

Options
  • 02-12-2006 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a 10" thicknesser and a 6" planer. I've had no problems with the thicknesser as yet I have them about 18 mths. The planer which is a different make has been troublesom all along .I thought it may have been my inexperience was the problem and did'nt take it back.The problem was with the fence.I read all the books and used shims and every other means that was suggested to no avail.I broke a couple of adjusters and have given up on it .It was a cheap tool anyway. Now i'm wondering if I should get a new planer or go the whole hog and get a planer/ thicknesser.I was looking at the METABO H 260 C it lookes a super machine any suggestions would be glad of some advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Don't know about the Metabo but I am using a Scheppach HMS 2600 (older model) belonging to my dad. It's a fantastic machine and a great addition to any shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

Thanks for your reply .I havent seen that one, as you say i'ts an old model which are like Gold dust now.I think i'll just go for the planer its not as if I to buy materials that would nave to be thicknessed. If you decide to upgrade in the near future give me a call. thanks again boysie 39 :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

You'd be surprised how much use you could get from a thicknesser, great for converting stock and making up your own slips, battens and boards. Occasionally I come across a nice bit of old timber (nail free of course) that can be given a new lease of life thanks to the thicknesser. Scheppach still make this machine, the spec. may be slightly better but the functionality is similar. The one I'm using is about 12 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Yeah, apparently a planer/thicknesser is the thing to have if you're into woodwork in a major way. The Australians seem to have a saying that it 'frees you from the tyranny of DAR'. As carpainter says you can convert anything into boards, etc. For anyone in business this results in big savings as you can buy roughly sawn timber and convert it yourself instead of buying the Dressed All Round stuff.

Going further I often think 'wouldn't it be great to have your own timber mill out the back - with all the haulage gear and all'. You'd just see an interesting fallen tree and in no time at all it'd be loaded up, taken off, sawn up, kiln dried and then planed for use later that week. Yeah, yeah, I know that's ridiculous but we can dream... :rolleyes:

Advertisement