Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with intense stress

Options
  • 02-12-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I know this might sound like a trivial problem compared with the others listed here, but it's a pretty serious problem for me.

Every time I have to sit an exam, or face a stressful situation (which is quite often lately) I seem to suffer from really strong anxiety.

It so bad that I can't sleep at night at all. I tend to take sleeping tablets or anxiety tablets just to get a few hours sleep before getting up to study again. I know this isnt a solution long term. The tablets make me drowsy and it makes study even more difficult and then I get even more stressed.

recently it came to a point where I couldnt sleep without tables. Even then I could only manage 4-5 hours sleep, and then was absolutely wrecked the next day.

Some people mentioned meditation to overcome the stress, but its not really my thing. I was just wondering if anyone here had been through this and could recommend something.

I'd like to get this problem sorted before my next set of serious exams!!!!

Thanks,
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Go see your GP, if you're having anxiety on such a massive level it could be medical/psychological.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My personal way of dealing with stressful sitautions (like my life at the moment) is to allow myself a short amount of time where I can face my fears and worries face on and fully and then get on and enjoy my life. I appreciate that this would not work for everyone.

I do think that you should go to the doctor and get yourself checked out also,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sleeping tablets are massively addictive and should never be used as a long term crutch. They should be used as little as possible. If you now can't sleep without them, then most likely you're addicted. You need to discuss this with your GP too, asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Go to:

www.examsuccesstips.com

and do the exercises in the first post. They will help.

Secondly, go to a good NLPer.
    PM me for details if you want to find one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Get off the meds and start doing strenuous exercise! That will reduce your stress and make you tired so that you can sleep at night. You might also look at your diet, drinking, coffee/tea, smoking, and recreational drug habits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get off the meds and start doing strenuous exercise!
    Second this. Take swimming as an example: I like it, and if I go full at it, it releeves some stress. It also tires me out, and enables me to sleep easier.

Also, check what you're drinking to stay awake. Had a bad habit of drinking lots of Redbull around the exams, which would in turn make it harder for me to slep. Thus, somethings that may help you during the day may go against you when trying to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

"Some people mentioned meditation to overcome the stress, but its not really my thing."

No really your thing? This statement doesn't make sense. It's like saying "I want to live longer, but giving up cigarettes isn't really my thing". The best things in life are not always easy to "get into". Giving up misery is difficult to do. But you should leave all your preconceptions at the door when it comes to meditation, and just give it a try for yourself. It's different for everybody :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Agreed. The most basic principle of meditation is "sit down for a bit". Granted most techniques go further than that, but if you get the basic principle of "sit down for a bit" then there's a form of meditation for you.

Advertisement