Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sites and Monuments record

Options
  • 02-12-2006 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey, I was hoping to download the sites and monuments record off the Duchas site to find it has been removed because of some inaccuracies.

http://www.heritagedata.ie/en/NationalMonuments/Download/

I'm trying to visit every ruined castle and abbey in Ireland(only around 60 visited so far but it's a start) so this would be a great help to me.Since this is an Irish archaeology forum I was wondering would any of ye have a copy that ye downloaded before it was taken down.So if anyone has a copy could you please send it to me.All help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The SMR is being updated at the moment I believe. You may have to go to the National Museum to view the "old" record. It's a big list!!

Good luck with your enterprise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Furze

I'm trying to visit every ruined castle and abbey in Ireland(only around 60 visited so far but it's a start) so this would be a great help to me.

Any problems getting permission to enter onto private lands ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

What anout using the new OS maps that have come out in the last few years? All smr's noted afaik, as opposed to the hit-and-miss case that was the way with the old quarter/half inch - thou they were better for marking out estates + country houses, something I miss in the new ones :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PringlesOrigina

The SMR is being updated at the moment I believe. You may have to go to the National Museum to view the "old" record. It's a big list!!

Good luck with your enterprise!!

Ya I just found out there are over 120,000 monuments in it!
    Thanks,I've visited over 100 now.I'm slowly getting there.
    Any problems getting permission to enter onto private lands ?

The ones close to the road and nowhere near a house are grand.They're wide open for everyone to see.

The ones in farmyards are ok.I just ask the farmer can I have a look around.

The ones I can't get to are the ones down the private drives of country houses.Last time I called to one of these houses,the owner was too much of a coward to answer the door.So I walked back and decided I'd visit the castle which was halfway up the drive.But didn't the owner decide to get his shotgun and start firing up into the trees at me :eek: A quick dash through the forest ensued.I know I shouldn't have been trespassing but I felt this was a little bit over the top.I was just taking photos,I was hardly trying to steal anything from the castle.

Some National Monuments are pretty hard to get into aswell which is a shame.
    What anout using the new OS maps that have come out in the last few years? All smr's noted afaik, as opposed to the hit-and-miss case that was the way with the old quarter/half inch - thou they were better for marking out estates + country houses, something I miss in the new ones

Thats what I'm using at the moment but a lot of the castles on the maps are just piles of stones on the ground.Nothing remains of them.I was hoping the monuments record would give me details of the castles before I visited them so I would know whether they still exist or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Whereabouts are you located by the way?

• Advertisement
Advertisement