Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife/Husband

Options
  • 01-12-2006 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does is the word wife the most unsuitable word to its meaning in the English dictionary? You're supposed to love your wife and for some reason it doesn't sound very loving. 'Friend' is suitable for its meaning because 'Friend' has a nice warm sound to it. So why is it that Girlfriend (Boyfriend) sounds a lot more loving than Wife(Husband) when it should be the other way around logically. Maybe I'm talking complete shite, I really don't know. Anyone else feel the same way?

What do you think? 47 votes

I think Wife/Husband sounds dull in relation to what it means.
    0% 0 votes
    I think it sounds fine.
    29% 14 votes
    Atari Jaguar.
    70% 33 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I think it sounds fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Unless you are a swinging single and love being that way, or someone who is in an unloving matchup with a spouse, I don't see the negative connotation attached to husband or wife labels.*

*Could be worse... "My Old Man" or "My Old Woman"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Binomate wrote:
    So why is it that Girlfriend (Boyfriend) sounds a lot more loving than Wife(Husband) when it should be the other way around logically.

Hmmm...

'Hi, this is my girlfriend. We were wife and husband back in school and are happily married 30 years now'.

I dunno, it just doesn't look right. :(

the main difference between wife and girlfriend is one added syllable. So we need to make wife into a two syllable word.

ans. wi-ife. Sounds loving enough to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Binomate wrote:
    why is it that Girlfriend (Boyfriend) sounds a lot more loving than Wife(Husband) when it should be the other way around logically
    It's all in your head. You think it sounds less loving, I don't.
    I also like saying "myself and herself" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my best friend is my wife, and thats just fine by me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Life partners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Wifey and I are very happy with the husband / wife title :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

get out of my garden ya joker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Call her the 'wifey' then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Reproductive Unit ftw tbh

After Atari Jaguar, natuerlich

Keep an eye on this thread, folks - it's classic, quality AH :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

The Auld ball and Chain. The Bait and Tackle. The Latter Half. Who needs to say Husband?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

*shudder*
    I was called 'Wifey' by a guy once... I didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Karoma wrote:
    *shudder*
    I was called 'Wifey' by a guy once... I didn't like it.

youre a chick?

fúck me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Caliden wrote:
    Life partners!
    You're trying make people puke, yeah?

'Wife' might sound (phonetically) a bit harsh because it's from Old English, which is nearly German(/Scandanavian.)

Any other connotations are probably from your own personal (or societal) experiences...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wife and Husband sound much more serious than Boyfriend and Girlfriend. I've been going out with my SO for seven years now, and we've noticed that our relationship is taken less seriously than those people who say "Wife/Husband" or "Fiancé".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

'Wife' might sound (phonetically) a bit harsh because it's from Old English, which is nearly German(/Scandanavian.)

Any other connotations are probably from your own personal (or societal) experiences...

ho/pimp

always goes down well

Ehhh....that's what I said. Society is to blame...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

youre a chick?

fúck me!
    ...No. :(

(And no.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just "c'mere woman" works* well.

Wife sounds fine though. 'Sweehawrt' (in true Dell Boy style is always fun too) :)

*if you like taking trips to the hospital :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

tbh I think it sounds fine.
    "My Old Man" or "My Old Woman"

now that just sounds wrong!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My beloved sounds cute I think, I also call him darling, calling him my husband in just over 3 weeks will be wierd but I am slowly warming to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

seamus wrote:
    Wife and Husband sound much more serious than Boyfriend and Girlfriend. I've been going out with my SO for seven years now, and we've noticed that our relationship is taken less seriously than those people who say "Wife/Husband" or "Fiancé".

My thoughts exactly. I inoticed the difference in being taken more seriously after I got married. I don't know why it happens, but it does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Shane is starting to call me wifey, I love it, it is very cute and very endearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Doesn't the word "wife" come from the same old English root as "weft" ie the horizontal threads used in weaving? The woman of the house stayed at home weaving etc while the man of the house, now housebound or "husband", took care of the manly jobs like ploughing etc. Both the man and the woman were tied to the family home in different ways. No stigma attached to either fair description of the sharing of the workload of a home.

I must be honest, every time I hear the phrase "house husband" I want to shout "do some research you ignorant baxtard!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Binomate wrote:
    Is it just me or does is the word wife the most unsuitable word to its meaning in the English dictionary? You're supposed to love your wife and for some reason it doesn't sound very loving. 'Friend' is suitable for its meaning because 'Friend' has a nice warm sound to it. So why is it that Girlfriend (Boyfriend) sounds a lot more loving than Wife(Husband) when it should be the other way around logically. Maybe I'm talking complete shite, I really don't know. Anyone else feel the same way?

just don't mind the sound of it...you'll get used to that!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It depends who's saying it. I have some friends who say the word 'wife' in the same voice as the word 'fucking nuisance', or 'thing that is stopping me enjoying myself'. I have other friends who say the word 'wife' in the same voice as 'christmas present' or 'happy days'.

For anyone who ever uses the phrases 'ball and chain', 'her indoors', 'my old lady' - why the fuck did you bother your arse getting marreid in the first place? You're obviously miserable. Why don't you just split up and get on with your life, instead of spending time running your missus down to us, because you know, we're not interested in hearing about it...

Same with 'husband' - I have friends who spit the word 'husband' like a well rinsed mouthwash. Or just the word 'man' - 'that's a typical MAN thing to do'. I always feel that people who can speak about their partners like that are bitter because they can't believe what a mistake they've made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Just use 'Her Indoors'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭OliviaM

Sounds perfectly okay with me so far. what's wrong with it?:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement