Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Pill

Options
  • 01-12-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know ye get threads on this all the time, but I'm going out of my mind with worry. Had sex this morning at 11am and the condom split. My GF was never on any kind of pill or contraception, we just relied on condoms. Maybe a bit silly, but sure there you go. Got down to the doctor, took the emergency pill. Grand. She tells me her period was on the 20th, so today of all days was particularly high risk. But anyway just looking for facts and figures really, plus I welcome any "your're an eejit" because I am, I know. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/emergency.html#epills

Emergency Contraception Pills (ECP)

Emergency contraceptive pills contain a progestogen hormone which is similar to the natural progesterone women produce in their ovaries. The pills should be taken within three days (72 hours) of having unprotected sex.

ECPs may stop ovulation, or fertilisation of an egg, or stop a fertilised egg from implanting in the womb. The ECP stops a pregnancy before it is established. It does not work if you are already pregnant. Medical research and legal judgement are quite clear that emergency contraception (the pill or an IUD) prevents pregnancy and is not abortion.

How do I take them?
    Emergency Contraception Pills come in a packet of two. Take the two tablets at the same time as soon as possible, preferably within 12 hours, and no later than 72 hours (3 days) after you have had unprotected sex.Swallow each tablet whole, with water if necessary. Do not delay taking the tablets. The tablets work better the sooner you take them after having unprotected sex.

How effective are emergency pills?
    Of the pregnancies that could be expected to have occurred if no emergency contraception had been used the emergency pill will prevent:

* Up to 95% if taken within 24 hours
    * Up to 85% if taken between 25-48 hours
    * Up to 58% if taken between 49-72 hours.

So as you can see the earlier they are taken the more effective the ECPs are and most effective if the pills are taken within 24 hours. They do not work if you:

* take the pills more than 72 hours after unprotected sex
    * vomit within three hours after taking the pills
    * don't take the pills as instructed
    * have had unprotected sex at another time, either since your last period or since taking the pills.

Emergency Contraception Pills are not as effective as other forms to contraception such as the pill or condoms used regularly and do not protect you against sexually transmitted infections.

Do I need to see a doctor after I've taken ECP?
    Not usually, but do go and see a doctor or nurse if

* your next period is more than five days late
    * your period is unusually light or heavy
    * you have any sudden or unusual pain in your lower abdomen.

These could be signs of an ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy that develops outside the womb, usually in a fallopian tube). Although this is not common, it is serious.

Also contact your doctor if

* you think you may be pregnant
    * you want to talk about using regular contraception
    * you are worried that you might have caught a STI.

Who is it suitable for?
    Almost every woman can use emergency pills. However if you are taking certain prescribed or complementary medicines, or suffer from particular illnesses you may need special advice.

Tell your doctor, nurse or pharmacist about any medicines you are taking or illnesses you may have.

Are there any side-effects?
    There are no serious short - or long-term effects from using the emergency pill. However some women may feel sick, dizzy or tired, or may get headaches, breast tenderness, diarrhoea or lower abdominal (tummy) pain. These symptoms should get better within a few days.

A very small number of women will vomit. If you are sick, read the section "what to do if you are sick (vomit)". The ECP can disrupt your periods.

Will emergency pills protect me from pregnancy until my next period?
    No. Emergency pills will not protect you from pregnancy if you have further unprotected sex. Your doctor or family planning centre can give you information about different contraceptive choices.

How will the ECP effect my next period?
    Your period might be different. Most women will have a normal period at the expected time, but some may have their period later or earlier than normal. You might also have some irregular bleeding or spotting until your next period.

If your period is more than 5 days late or is unusually light or heavy, you should contact your doctor as soon as possible.

Pregnancy and Emergency Contraception
    The emergency pill is very effective and should be taken as soon as possible after unprotected sex. However in some women it fails and they become pregnant even though the pill was taken correctly. You may also become pregnant if you:

* delay taking the emergency pill
    * vomit within 3 hours of taking the pill
    * have had unprotected sex at another time, either since your last period or since taking the emergency pill.

The emergency pill has not been shown to affect a pregnancy or harm a developing foetus. As with any pregnancy there is a small chance that an ectopic pregnancy may occur. If you think that you may be pregnant it is important to seek advice as soon as possible to check that you do not have an ectopic pregnancy.

What if I vomit within 3 hours of taking ECP?
    If you are sick (vomit) within three hours of taking the tablets, you should take another two tablets. You will need to contact your doctor, practice nurse or family planning clinic immediately for more tablets.

Can I take it more than once in a year/month/lifetime?
    Yes you can. You can take emergency contraception more than once with no harmful effects, though it may disrupt your periods.

If you are regularly using emergency contraception it would indicate that you need to review your contraceptive choices as the pills are not as effective as using other methods and are more expensive.

Can I get the ECP in advance?
    Yes, if you are worried about your contraceptive method failing or cannot get emergency contraception easily discuss with your doctor or nurse about this option.

Combining with regular contraceptive pill use
    If you need emergency contraception because you forgot some of your regular pills, you should take a pill again within 12 hours of the last dose of emergency pills. You will need to use an additional contraceptive method, such as condoms, until your contraceptive pill is effective again. This will vary depending on which type of pill you take. The doctor, nurse or pharmacist can advise.

I would suggest that you sit and have a talk about using other contraceptives with your gf and as the condome split about your sexual hsitry and the possibiltiy of needing sti screenings for you both to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It says there two tablets, but we got just the one, I think it was called Novralon, something like that. Thanks though reassuring to here its quite effective.

'
    ahfeck wrote:
    It says there two tablets, but we got just the one, I think it was called Novralon, something like that. Thanks though reassuring to here its quite effective.

Happened us twice in a short time span over the summer, same situation, but herself is now on the pill....the morning after pill caused some pain the first time, less the next, but no pregnancy :-D. Just do what you can for her and yes absolutely look into STI screening (depending on yer situation) and other contraceptive options :-)'

'very sorry its called norlevo'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

ahfeck wrote:
    It says there two tablets, but we got just the one
    Some, but not all, emergency contraception comes in the form of one pill to take ASAP (within 72 hours) and another to take roughly 12 hours later. Certainly I understood that this applied to NorLevo, but IANAD.

Read the leaflet or contact your doctor if you aren't sure that you're okay in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

ahfeck wrote:
    But anyway just looking for facts and figures really, plus I welcome any "your're an eejit" because I am, I know.

Don't be so hard on yourself. A lot of people rely on condoms only as a form of concraception[for many reasons]. Condoms splitting happens. You've done the right thing by getting the MAP and looking for the facts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I agree, a lot of people including myself rely on condoms, in my case because I am on chemo and it would not work in any case at the moment. The morning after pill is unpleasant but you have done the right thing. Good luck.

'thanks very much guys, GF seems to be okay as of 7pm, so hopefully its taking its course. I'm still sh*tin it but I really appreciate the comments.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

ahfeck wrote:
    My GF was never on any kind of pill or contraception, we just relied on condoms. Maybe a bit silly, but sure there you go.

plus I welcome any "your're an eejit" because I am, I know. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

No!
    Plenty of people rely just on condoms- if you actually look into it they're actually a lot of health risks associated with the pill which most people (including doctors) tend to overlook!
    Now you two might well decide the benifits outweigh these small risks but ultimalty its your gfs decision!
    And goodluck by the way-if you get the morning after early on more than likely fine so don't worry!

'hi its me again, this is day 5, she has had pains for the last 4 days. Today she got her period, which is two weeks early, can someone tell me what this means?'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It should mean she is not pregnant, it is not unknown for emergency contrapception to bring on a period early.

Advertisement