Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social Skills Questionnaire

• 01-12-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

I'm doing some research in applied psychology on teenage girls as part of my undergrad course . I'm designing a questionnaire as part of it which is turning out to be far more difficult than I envisioned! Part of the questionnaire is going to deal with social skills but I've had a real problem identifying a specific list of these skills. Common sense suggests such a list should include items regarding confidence and ability to resolve conflicts etc but I really want to nail down a precise list so I can design specific questions which won't be impossible to analyse.

Also, I want the questionnaire to be entirely quantitative (a separate part of the research is purely qualitative).

Any ideas?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Tyrer's Social Functioning Questionnaire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Either use a tried and proven questionnaire or make one up from scratch.
    If you have the time (probably not :D ) you can make a pilot questionnaire with a lot of questions, then analyse the answers to boil it down to a shorter/better list, then analyse that and make final adjustments before you give it out the actual study group.

Initial list 5 ppl
    Second list 5 new ppl
    Last list 50+ new ppl (or whatever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

This is a link to Buros Mental Measurements - the most reputable and comprehensive test reviews online. Unless your thesis is about psychometric questionnaire design, rather than social skills per se, do not try to create your own questionnaire; it is not generally valid to design and use a questionnaire in the same study, and then try to interpret the results and draw inferences from them as well. Stick to using an appropriate psychometrically sound published instrument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Yeah was planning to pilot the questionnaire but am running out of time at this stage! I have looked at some of the questionnaires that are out there but a lot of them are a bit too long for my study as social skills is only one element of the questionnaire. Also, its been made clear by my lecturers that it is ok for us to use out own questionnaires so long as they are carefully designed (the focus of the project is on applying psychology to the 'real' world and so we don't have to worry as much about reliability as would normally be the case).I will have another look for an established questionnaire though .Thanks

Advertisement