Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on emmigration

Options
  • 01-12-2006 5:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

So, I'm just about fed up with living in the states and I'm thinking of emmigrating to Ireland. I just wanted to get an impression of what Irish citizens think of Americans emmigrating to Ireland. I'm well-educated (finishing a PhD and teaching at a small 2 year college) and I'm not too much of a rebel rouser. I do love Ireland and the people there. Would I be welcome? What are your thoughts on the subject? Any tips from other expatriats living there on how to go about it. Unfortunately for me, my ties to Ireland are perhaps too far removed. My great-great grandfathers (one paternal, one maternal) came to the U.S. from Ulster. I know folks with grandparents have an easier go at it, but I'm hoping it's not out of the question. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

americans? no prob i'd say..I'm a Brit, 20 years in Cork and not a bother. Lovely people, lovely country. As for the legalities, I dont know, but I cant see you having trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This doesn´t seem to belong in Commuting & Transport, so I am moving it to Personal Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Although clearly qualified in your area you'll have to not that it is very hard to obtain a work visa if you're non-EU (even harder than trying to get into US if you're Irish). This is because we alreay have a rake of potential employees in the EU where freedom of movement between countries is guaranteed.

You'll almost certainly need a employer sponsor, even then they'll need to prove that they couldn't find someone better from the EU.

P.s. weather is here terrible, no doubt LA has spoilt you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Victor wrote:
    This doesn´t seem to belong in Commuting & Transport, so I am moving it to Personal Issues.

I wouldn't have considered this a PI either Vic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have you been here before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I use to live in americathough i was born here and ill give you one tip, never ever ever say tell anymore people in ireland that your great great grandparents lived here that just makes them laugh lol. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

folk_smith wrote:
    My great-great grandfathers (one paternal, one maternal) came to the U.S. from Ulster. I know folks with grandparents have an easier go at it, but I'm hoping it's not out of the question.
    Depends. Some folks with grandparents from Ireland claim to be Irish, even to the point of trying to tell some Irish people they're not Irish (because that Irish person has parents or grandparents from elsewhere, or [in the case of the AOH] they're gay). Needless to say quite a few Irish people get a tad annoyed at that.

As a rule though Americans get on pretty well here. Economically white English-speaking immigrants get on about as well as Irish people of a similar economic background. Expect to hear a few opinions about American politics given to you as if the speaker is assuming you agree with US policy 100%, e.g:

Irishman: George Bush is a wanker!
    American: Yeah, I agree!
    Irishman: You hear me, George Bush is a wanker!
    American: You're right there.
    Irishman: I said, George Bush is a wanker!
    American: Bertie's a wanker too.
    Irishman: Well, duh, I know that.

Oh, and pretend to be Canadian around St. Patrick's day, since that's when the great idiot exchange occurs and the thickest Irish people head off to New York and Boston to be replaced by the thickest Americans both groups then acting even more stupidly than they do in their home country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Here is some advice i was told was really useful for foreigners staying in Ireland on St. Patricks day:)
      The best Paddy's Day crack (enjoyment) is always to be found in the pubs of Ballybough/ Ballyfermot/ Ballymun. All you have to do is walk in and use the traditional Irish greeting "Yacun cha!" or (for that really friendly local greeting): "Wotterya lukkinat yafek incun cha!" and you will be welcomed as a long-lost son of Erin.
      Remember that until midday in Ireland - the only greeting permissable is "top o' the morning to ya". The louder this is said the better, and preferably with a thick highly plausible Irish accent such as Tom Cruise's in "Far And Away".
      On St Patrick's Day it is also customary to use several key phrases from the Irish language to address local people. The traditional greetings to girls are "yaslappa", and to boys is yanakka".
      Make sure not to miss the late-night evening rituals by taking a scenic journey on the Nitelink. These inexpensive tours are extremely popular, particularly with the youngsters of Dublin. Be sure to sit upstairs, in the rear seats, as it is easier to take photos with that new digital camera.
      If you need to get back from the city centre to your B&B or hotel in a hurry, why waste £££s on a taxi? Simply hail any of the ponies and traps that congregate around St Stephen's Green. They will transport you and your family from the centre of Dublin to the hills of Wicklow at St Patrick's day prices (i.e. circa AD 385) - just a few groats or two shekels or a shilling (5p) for the round trip.
      St Patrick was closely associated with St Theresa. If you want a horticultural treat in Dublin, ask your taxi driver to give you a flying tour of Theresa's Gardens. Or pop over to the 17th-century stately home where the third secret of Fatima is stored - it's called the Fatima Mansions.
      Remember if - heaven forbid - you have your handbag snatched during your otherwise pleasant stay in the Emerald Isle, simply phone the 24-hour tourist helpline. It's called "The Ryahn Line". Ask to speak to Gerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

OP, I am moving to Dublin in June 2007. PM me and I will be happy to give you some links that have been a tremendous help to me.

D'Peoples Voice - ROFL!! Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

What is your Ph.D. in and what university is it from (PM me if this is too much info to post). Teaching positions are difficult to come by in the univesities but there are a few in the IT's and PDRF's are available in most scientific areas at least (not sure about the arts etc). For these temporary research positions getting a permit is not a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

D'Peoples Voice

This is PI, please stick to the rules and charter of this forum.
    Answer the OP's questions or refrain from commenting.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

It's very difficult to come and live in Ireland from the US. I worked with a few people from the US who were on long term 4/5 year contracts. Thankfully for them the company had immigration attorneys who assisted them.

It may also be worth taking a look at this: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/

Oh and Best of luck!
    Talliesin wrote:
    Oh, and pretend to be Canadian around St. Patrick's day, since that's when the great idiot exchange occurs and the thickest Irish people head off to New York and Boston to be replaced by the thickest Americans both groups then acting even more stupidly than they do in their home country.

Ahem, it's Irish people in Dublin who act like the biggest idiots St. Patricks. Generalising about Americans for that matter is pretty ignorant as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Generalising about Americans for that matter is pretty ignorant as well.
    I made no such generalisation. The fact that many Americans pretend to be Canadian on March 17 shows that they aren't all of the green-leprechaun-hat mentality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Best if you had a job before coming to Ireland. With a Ph.D., you might want to set up an online list of all universities and periodically check their position openings? The universities are organised differently than the States. Just don't check human resource postings, but also go into the faculties and departments for listings.

You will also have to master the Irish language within 3 years if you want tenure.

Outside of university postings, depending upon your education and job experience, you might want to contact an employment agency in Ireland? I think you call them headhunters in the States? A Dublin agency would probably be your best bet, although they can also cover the country for you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Having been in your place I moved to Ireland and found out how hard it was and was eventually forced to move back, I created this thread for others who are thinking of doing the same thing in the abroad forum:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=319492

I got a pm recently asking me how to do this, they had heard about me moving to Dublin and wanted some help.
    I have had these questions before so I thought Id post up my advice and sticky it incase anyone else comes to baords looking for help.

Step #1 is the most improtant thing, if you can complete step#1 successfully then you will have nothing else to worry about...at all.
    Having said that, it is the hardest thing to do and you will see why here.

You must secure a job before moving there. If you go there in an attempt to find work you had better have a load of money stashed first.

To find work you need one of the following:

A work visa, can only be obtained for the following professions:
    Architecht
    Medical profession
    IT professional

A legal citizenship status, by marriage or by default from your parents or grandparnet having been born there. They will only go as far back as your Grandparent and you have to show thier birth certificate then apply for citezenship.

Student visa, you apply for this ahead of time and must be in school 20-30 hrs / week then you will be granted a student/work visa.

A work permit,
    this is for everyone else. The only thing is you cant get one unless you know someone vey important. I got nearly 200 declinations and they all said I was what they were looking for but couldnt hire me because Im not part of the EU. You can only get a work permit if an employer hires you and applies for one for you, that employer must show reason on that application to the govt why you, an american... are more qualified for the position than an Irish citizen or someone who is part of the EU.
    More than likely it isnt going to happen. I tried for over 2 years.

Now, if you have family that lives there you may luck out
    I dont want to discourage you at all but as you can see its no easy task.
    Unless you have loads of money and can live there for 5 years without working (which will gain you citizenship) you'l need to do one of the above to be able to work and live in Ireland legally.

If you get a pub/waiting job and are paid under the table that is cool but dont get caught or you will be deported and never again allowed to return.

I did extensive research and the only way I could get to stay was to get married, the only catch to that was in Ireland you cant get divorced for 5 years! so needless to say I came home even though I found someone who was willing to do it.

Good luck, and let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

folk_smith wrote:
    So, I'm just about fed up with living in the states
    A little off tack, but is there a risk that you will merely have your problems follow you or you will have new problems?

Advertisement