Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New experience

Options
  • 30-11-2006 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Not logging in for obvious reasons.

I am a married man, but have been on some medication recently for Blood Pressure. I think it modifies some hormone levels.

Anyway, I got chatting to a guy in a chat room & we got along well. He then told me he was Gay & wanted to meet. Last night we did & we played around. It was quite pleasant. A few months ago I would have almost been sick at the thought, but last night it was OK. I have no desire to go there again, well I dont think I do, but then I used to have no desire to go there at all.

Is this the medication I am taking casing an effect or a just one of those things?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have issues with any possible side effect of perscribed medication then you should consult your gp.

Many people later on in life find that they had not fully explored their sexuality as much as they had tought.

You are married and you have to take this into consideration, hopefully what ever actives you did enguage in you did so safely.

It could be that you are bisexaul and never let yourself explore it for various reasons but you did make a comitment to your spouse, you can be bisexual but remain happily with your spouse never lustfully touching a person of the same gender again.

If you feel this is causing you a lot of conflict and you need someone to talk to I suggest you try talk to your dr or getting in touch with people who can offer help as you figure out what opening this door means to you and how it will effect yourself, your spouse and your life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Go see your GP in confidence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Medication cant make you gay.

Maybe its just having a placebo effect and allowing you to feel things you've stopped yourself feeling before.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'
    Is this the medication I am taking casing an effect or a just one of those things?

you cheated on your wife with another man, it has nothing to do with medication.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Blood-pressure medication can make you hornier. It can't make you cheat on your wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well, it has been empirically documented that certain types of pollution, which mimic oestrogen, can cause male fish to grow female reproductive organs whilst decreasing sperm counts etc. This effectively makes them hermaphrodites.

Anyway, who knows... maybe your drugs did "turn you gay", or maybe your just looking for an easy excuse to explain away your actions.

Well, it has been empirically documented that certain types of pollution, which mimic oestrogen, can cause male fish to grow female reproductive organs whilst decreasing sperm counts etc. This effectively makes them hermaphrodites.
    And high doses of such hormones can indeed cause alteration of secondary sexual characteristics, and are taken by transexuals precisely to do so.

But it doesn't change orientation, the effect upon libido is random and more frequently to reduce rather than to increase (though increasing does happen), and they aren't used to threat blood pressure (indeed blood pressure problems could be a contra-indication).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Jesjes wrote:
    Medication cant make you gay.

Maybe its just having a placebo effect and allowing you to feel things you've stopped yourself feeling before.

:confused: was he gay? i read he was chatting with a gay and they did go for that stuff.:confused:

Talliesin wrote:
    But it doesn't change orientation, the effect upon libido is random and more frequently to reduce rather than to increase (though increasing does happen), and they aren't used to threat blood pressure (indeed blood pressure problems could be a contra-indication).

Well, the brain is just another organ - and organ that controls sex hormones at that. Why can't it be altered by chemicals to influence sexual orientation? If this was Mythbusters, I'd say it's "Plausible". Please, no cries of gay hater. I just believe that it's not outside the bounds of reality that chemical inputs can precipitate a drastic change in our bodies. That, however, is a debate for the scientists.

Whatever the reason of his sudden attraction to men, I really think the issue here is that the OP was allowing somebody other than his wife to play with his wobbly bits.

DilbertPartII, unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

• Advertisement

Well, the brain is just another organ - and organ that controls sex hormones at that. Why can't it be altered by chemicals to influence sexual orientation? If this was Mythbusters, I'd say it's "Plausible".
    If this were mythbusters I'd point to the the history of trying to alter sexual orientation and its ongoing failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

Don't think there is a drug that can turn you gay overnight. Maybe you need to use this form of placebo effect to allow underlying tendancies to evolve.Did you enjoy the experience and if so do you plan to repeat it. Are you going to keep taking the pills and what if anything do you plan on telling your wife. Any sign of this on your personal life before.

Good luck mate either way

Talliesin wrote:
    If this were mythbusters I'd point to the the history of trying to alter sexual orientation and its ongoing failure.

Just because it hasn't been proved doesn't mean it isn't possible. Unless something has been proved to be impossible it remains possible, however unlikely. If this was the case then they wouldn't, for example, pour billions into ongoing failure of researching fission. I reject your reality and substitute it with my own :)

This, though, is a debate for another thread/ forum

They got fussion to work in the 1950s, they're trying to control something they know works rather than trying to do something that might be impossible entirely.

Saying that the OP should seriously consider the possibility that after people throughout the histories of Chrisianity, Psychiatry, the Third Reich (in order of them starting trying and in reverse order of all but the lunatic fringe giving up) he's accidentally found a way to change such a deeply ingrained part of the persona without appreciable damage to the rest (and hence coincidentally discovering the most highly-targetted psychoactive drug in the world) rather than looking at other matters is the most superstitious thing I've ever come across.

Do you really think he should say "oh, the pills made me have gay sex" rather than examining what the hell went on?

You got me! swastika in one had, crucifix in the other.

I never said that the drugs turned him gay. What I actually said was:

"Anyway, who knows... maybe your drugs did "turn you gay", or maybe your just looking for an easy excuse to explain away your actions."

I've not said homosexuality was wrong or a perversion, so I don't appreciate being lumped in with the Nazis. What I've suggested was the possibly that sexuality can, like sex, be influenced by external factors. I'm open to the scientific prospect that our environment can influence us physiologically - and therefore psychologically. If that makes me the most superstitious :confused: person you've ever met then so be it. I'm not trying to explain the gay away, but you seem to jump to the conclusion that I am, Talliesin.

As for fusion (I mistakenly said fission), I never said it didn't work. I said it was a failure. This because it produces far less energy then is consumed in the process. Admittedly it was a poor analogy, and one I barely understand, so let's drop it :)

Woah!

I'm just talking about the fact that the drugs turning him gay is such a slim chance that it's simply not worth taking seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭aidan01

hi folks
    fact
    well known fact
    give a hetrosexual guy the female contraceptive pill over a prolonged period, the guy will become less and less hetro, possible bi eventually or even gay
    fact

FFS

This is NOT helpful and is off topic.
    Get back on topic and take that discussion to biology or humanites or take a banning.

Sorry, we were going down one avenue a lot more than necessary but the OP was asking if the pills could be blamed. They certainly couldn't be blamed for sexual orientation no matter how often aidan01 uses the word "fact" (Carani, Rochira, Faustini-Fustini, Balestrieri & Granata, 1999) but could well affect libido (many drugs do, especially likely if its treating hypotension rather than hypertension).

So yes OP, the pills could have had an affect on your behaviour. They certainly didn't make you more gay, though that doesn't necessarily mean that you are gay because you had (and possibly enjoyed) a gay experience. People who are pretty much 100% straight do sometimes have gay experiences (people who are pretty much 100% gay do sometimes have straight experiences) but then go on to not do so for the rest of their lives, it happens, and if some external pressure was making you more likely to behave sexually other than you would otherwise (e.g. medication making you hornier) then you'd be in a position where this was particularly likely to happen.

It's also possible that you are gay, or bi, or certainly not quite as straight as you thought you were. Don't fret about it, chances are if you're happy enough with how things are with your wife you're not going to suddenly wake up one morning, dump her and move to San Francisco. Most likely you'll largely forget the experience or at the very most there'll be the occasional "hmm, he's hot" added into the "hmm, she's hot" you no doubt think a few times every day but just as you don't have to act on every "hmm, she's hot" you won't have to act on any of those "hmm, he's hot" too. Even if the "hmm, he's hot" are as frequent or slightly more so than the "hmm, she's hot" you don't have to (contrary to some myths you are allowed to be happy being with one person if you're bi - I've never had the bisexual police kick my door down at 4 in the morning because I've been playing on one team for too long).

Your big problem is really, WTF are you doing playing around with anyone irregardless of gender? Not as a moral statement but as a genuine question. Gay, straight, bi or unsure, none of those make you do anything with anyone else especially if your monogamous (and open marriages still being a minority in this society I'm assuming you are until you say otherwise).

Have you been engaging in other behaviour that could be considered more reckless than would be usual for you lately in any other aspect of life? Have you been feeling unhappy with your aspects of your life? Is there anything else lately that stands out as unusual for you.

Advertisement