Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Galway

Options
  • 30-11-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Heading to Galway tomorrow for the weekend. Looking for a nice restaurant for tomorrow night. We're staying in Eyre Square so I'm looking for something pretty central - Indian, Japanese or Italian. Any reccomendations Galwegians?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anywhere along Shop street and Quay street, loads of places there.
    I really like Trattoria opposite Quays bar.
    Maybe McDonagh's for the ol' fish'n'chips but it's overrated imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 a.j.g.

Try the lemon grass for asian cuisine. opposite jury's. Milano's middle street does the best pizza in galway and the nicest indian is the kashmir. For thai food try thai gardens spanish arch. have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Try the Tulsi Indian resteraunt on Middle Street. Good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

biko wrote:
    Maybe McDonagh's for the ol' fish'n'chips but it's overrated imo.

Conlons on Eglington Street is miles better in every way, its not the greasy batter laden muck you get in Mc Donaghs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

padi89 wrote:
    Conlons on Eglington Street is miles better in every way, its not the greasy batter laden muck you get in Mc Donaghs.
    That's the one I go to for fish'n'chips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Kashmir, near the fire station.

Needs to be for them jalfrezi's and vindaloos!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Thanks for all the suggestions, loads of places there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thai Garden is lovely too near the spanish arch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Hi all

Heading to Galway for a stag weekend this weekend and i want to book somewhere good for dinner on Saturday evening. Something like a bistro would be best, where there is a coice between a few different meat disahes, vegetarian and some fish too. The groom to be is a chef so i want to find somewhere impressive.saying that i dont want to break the bank or go somewhere where the food is amazing but the portions are amazingly small. Looking for a balance between quality and quantity. Also if anyone know good restaurants in galway city that do good early bird menus, id love to hear it!!

Thanks a million

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

Hi Gav, there are a few places on quay street that do an early bird menu, gemelles (early bird from 16:30 - 18:30) and pierres (early bird from 18:00 - 19:00), they both have websites that you can check out www.gemelles.com, www.pierres.ie for menu ideas. both are fairly reasonably priced and should have a good range of fish and meat options. Quay street is a good location for all of the best pubs too.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million ellie those are exactly the sort of places i am looking for - gemelles looks particularly good. Any other suggestions more than welcome cos i have a sneaking suspicion i may have a few difficulties making a booking for 12 on a Saturday night at such short notice! Thanks again ellie!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

i gave you the wrong website for pierres its www.pierresrestaurant.com, unless they ask if its a stag you shouldn't have any worries, I've had dinners in both places with large numbers for birthday parties and hen parties with no questions asked. best of luck

cool that sounds great - thanks for the correct URL, i got there the first time round and probably should have posted it in my reply - looking forward to the weekend - sure who knows we might even bump into you!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

geuro, couch potato, on upper abbygate st (turn right at AIB bank on shop street) is a great spot to line your stomach. its cheap, small, & only baked potato, but its the best baked potato you will eat.

Mrs Rizla's parents are coming to galway this weekend & we are also planing to go out to eat (better book soon by the looks of things) we are looking for somthing a bit more traditional, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Mrs Rizla's parents are coming to galway this weekend & we are also planing to go out to eat (better book soon by the looks of things) we are looking for somthing a bit more traditional, any suggestions?

Is the home plate on marys street still around ?

If not there ..McSwiggans (restaurant) .. is nice from time to time ... had a really nice tikka monk fish or something like that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Donnelly's in Barna?

Bit of a drive, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

forbairt wrote:
    Is the home plate on marys street still around ?

If not there ..McSwiggans (restaurant) .. is nice from time to time ... had a really nice tikka monk fish or something like that ...

any time i've been its not been great tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

I would Recommend Fat Freddies Pizzeria - It's great and very cosy. Also, Kashmirs Indian, and Thai Garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Da Tang Noodle House actually has an international reputation and is continuously listed in good food guides etc. Its opposite Charlie Byrne's Bookshop.

Brother went to eat there a couple of weeks ago and said it was fantastic and also quite reasonable. Its a good option if you're up for asian food.

In terms of Indian food, I'd rate Tulsi ahead of Kashmir, with Eastern Tandoori somwhere in the middle. Lemon Grass also has a good reputation although they are known to try and rush things along to get as many people in every night.

Italian Cuisine? De Roberto's in Salthill is good, although it can be very heavy. I'm a fan of Fat Freddys as well, good one for lunch although its always packed.

Old Mill restaurant down the alley by Healys barber is another great restaurant for Sunday dinner and the staff are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I like Fat Freddies on Quay Street, there's a good restaraunt on Kirwans lane too bit expensive though but excellent food. McSwiggans has been good any time I've been there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement