Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Back or Closed Back Headphones?

• 29-11-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for listening to music from my amp (home) and mp3 player (college and bus). I'll prob mainly be using them in college to drown out the surrounding sounds when workign on projects, althou maybe not to drown sound out fully.

Had a listen to these 3 pair in Peats earlier:
    Sennheiser HD 485 Sennheiserr HD 215 and Sennheiser HD 515. The last pair i didn't really think where as comfortable as the 1st two. I found them to all to sound much better than the sony earbuds im using with my mp3 player at the min.
    I've tried a pair of Technics RP F350 belonging o a class mate but i find they lack something or something, not sure how to describe what i don't hear or like about them.

Anyone offer any advice on open/closed back headphones?

Jozi

EDIT: if this isn't in the right forum could a mod move it please, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Personally from my own experience, I found closed back headphones made you feel contained into the music and didn't leak sound, whereas open backed headphones seemed to be more open and great for monitoring sound, but everyone could hear what you were listening to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

see if you can listen to a pair of sennheiser hd280s, they're closed studio cans, great detail, and comfortable..they're not very portable though...but they do sound excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

sennheiser hd515's are i think at the very upper limit of my budget, not sure if i really need studio quality cans :D

I think i should try get another listen to the other 2 mentioned cans when its a bit more quiet in peats, might give a better idea as to what i like most.

am, they're the same price as the 515's, at least on that webpage you listed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

mossym wrote:
    am, they're the same price as the 515's, at least on that webpage you listed..
    I didn't check that page :o Peats has them at 135 and 166, not sure what the difference is between the 2 models.
    Are they much bigger than the 3 i listed above?

• Advertisement

no idea to be honest, i can't tell from the pictures...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

It's not really a straightforward decision between open/closed.. the difference is very dependent on the headphones, some closed cans are much more precise than open headphones and vice-versa.

Bear in mind that just because it says Sennheiser on the box, doesn't necessarily mean its a great pair of cans... some of their 4xx range are excellent, others can be as bad as low-end Sony MDR-Vs. If you're in anyway worried, or want to double-check your final choice then I'd search on head-fi.org prior to handing over the cash.

Personally I'd reccomend the PX200s for travelling/college and see how you go from there... maybe pick up a better pair of cans for home use later (if you see the need)... alternatively from what you've listed, the 485s are good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

All of the headphones you mentioned come with 10ft cables,pretty annoying if your using them for portable use unless you have a bag or something to stuff the cable in.Personally i think Sennheiser PX100 are far ahead of all of the headphones you mentioned in the OP, i had a pair of HD485s and they are much better in tems of sound quality,comfort and price.I think you can buy a pair in Carphone Warehouse for around 35 euro.The only problem is they dont block out external sound.

Advertisement