Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allen Carr dies from lung cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

WHO?

Page not found!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

is he the bloke who wrote the give up smoking book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Allen Carr, the stop smoking guru. I think the OP meant this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6194670.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alan Carr

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

R.I.P as should be said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Ironic.

T.Sc.

Hardly. Smoking is not the only cause of lung cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Thats true. He could have caught it from passive smoking.

Not to mention....

Air pollution from motor vehicles, factories, and other sources may increase the risk for lung cancer, but the degree of increase has not been established accurately.

Asbestos exposure increases the risk of lung cancer by 9 times. A combination of asbestos exposure and cigarette smoking compounds the risk by as much as 50 times.

Lung diseases, such as tuberculosis (TB) and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), also create a risk for lung cancer. A person with COPD has a 4-6 times greater risk of lung cancer even when the effect of cigarette smoking is excluded.

Radon exposure poses another risk.

Radon is a by-product of naturally occurring radium, which is a product of uranium.

Radon is present in indoor and outdoor air.

The risk for lung cancer increases with significant long-term exposure, although no one knows the exact risk.

Certain occupations where exposure to arsenic, chromium, nickel, aromatic hydrocarbons, and ethers occurs may increase the risk of lung cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

He was an ex-smoker , a heavy one at that , 100 a day -- but had given up 25 years ago -- scary -- shows how long it can reside --
    Have to give up my myself, but i'm only 10 a day !

• Advertisement

100 a day is nuts alright!

It should be noted that my above posts are not meant to imply that I believe that Mr Carr did not end up getting lung cancer from smoking, I am merely trying to point out that "non smokers" should not be flippant when it comes to such ailments either, and should get regular check ups and blood work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

mike65 wrote:
    Alan Carr

Mike.

thats who i thought!!

well, RIP to the other allen carr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

R.I.P. Allen. :(

A great man, help many people quit smoking for good (including me).

If anyones considering stopping smoking I'd encourage them to give his book a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

thebaz wrote:
    He was an ex-smoker , a heavy one at that , 100 a day -- but had given up 25 years ago -- scary -- shows how long it can reside --
    Have to give up my myself, but i'm only 10 a day !
    noone can state that the smoking killed him, it definitely increased the poor chaps chances of Developing Lung Cancer, I would point people to dragans post about the many causes of this Disease

R.I.P. Alan Carr, a man who left a legacy that won't soon be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

ziggy67 wrote:
    Thats true. He could have caught it from passive smoking.

He spent 20 odd years in smoke filled clinics helping people quit smoking!

i tip my hat to him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

R.I.P. Allen. :(

A great man, help many people quit smoking for good (including me).

If anyones considering stopping smoking I'd encourage them to give his book a read.

I must read the book , as i'd like to quit , but as i/m not a heavy smoker , 10 or less a day , and fairly active -- find it difficult to quit or want to !
    Those adds a few years ago squeezing the tar from a lung , had an effect on me , but i'm back again .
    As i'm off the booze , i need a vice (or maybe not !) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

thebaz wrote:
    I must read the book , as i'd like to quit , but as i/m not a heavy smoker , 10 or less a day , and fairly active -- find it difficult to quit or want to !
    Those adds a few years ago squeezing the tar from a lung , had an effect on me , but i'm back again .
    As i'm off the booze , i need a vice (or maybe not !) .

No harm in reading the book once over then. It's an interesting read and no scaremoungering is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

should have read the alan carr book.

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

admiralgar wrote:

sorry
    Wow, what a poor joke.

Sad news alright, have been meaning to read his book for quite a while now (have it sitting here but never picked it up) but will probably get round to it someday soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Horizen

admiralgar wrote:

sorry

boom tish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

had a read of his book and it worked for a week :)

cold turkey succeeded at the end of it all

RIP though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

rb_ie wrote:
    Wow, what a poor joke.

Sad news alright, have been meaning to read his book for quite a while now (have it sitting here but never picked it up) but will probably get round to it someday soon...

thats why i said sorry,
    seriously though r.i.p., he helped a lot of people to stop smoking and thats a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

That book got me off 40 a day a great read for any smoker even if they don't intend giving up. No scare mongering just common sence.

Rip Allan Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

RIP Allan, you are the reason I quit the bloody smokes several years ago.

Sorry to see him go, his sacrifice is testimount to his message.

I'd still be smoking without his easyway book, pity for him he didnt write it 20 years earlier and saved himself.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

is it wrong that i'm smoking a camel filter while reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Thats for you to decide.

RIP, I heard on the radio he helped 100,000 people quit (think that was the stat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

why is there something specifically wrong with camel filters as opposed to any other cigarette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

100,000? Thought it would've been more. This is sad, he was a good man and had a genuinely fantastic idea. As someone else pointed out, no scaremongering, no statistics just an approach that works. I heard today he wrote an open letter to Blair from his deathbed complaining about the current methods being supported by government funding - nicotine replacement, basically - while no funding has been given to his method.
    Hasn't worked for me yet mind, but it's bound to as soon as I stop bottling out halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

I heard on the radio he helped 100,000 people quit

Try 10 million: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6194670.stm

Anyway for someone to survive to 72 after years of smoking 100 a day is testament to his method.

I know I couldn't have given up without reading his book.

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Helped me get off the smokes twice. Thanks Allen, RIP.

Advertisement