Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does debt in the North equal debt in the South?

Options
  • 28-11-2006 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Three very quick questions, and I'm not sure this is the right forum to post them in, but I couldn't find one more suitable:

1) If one acquires debt(s) in Northern Ireland, can that person expect these debts to follow them into the Republic of Ireland? For example, if one has bad credit and lots of debt in the North, can they simply move to the South and start over, get a loan, buy a house, etc?

2) In the North or South, if one's marital status is "single", and that person acquires debt and then marries a person with no debt whatsoever, does this new non-debt-acquiring spouse now have a bad credit rating? Can creditors chase them down for their spouse's debt? Will this non-debt-acquiring spouse be able to get a loan in their name, buy a house, etc?

3) Does anyone know of any ways to build credit in Ireland while living overseas?

Thanks in advance to any help/advice you all can offer! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Three very quick questions, and I'm not sure this is the right forum to post them in, but I couldn't find one more suitable:

1) If one acquires debt(s) in Northern Ireland, can that person expect these debts to follow them into the Republic of Ireland? For example, if one has bad credit and lots of debt in the North, can they simply move to the South and start over, get a loan, buy a house, etc?

Doubt it, the impression I get from the Financial industry is they'd cover themselves for this sort of thing.
    2) In the North or South, if one's marital status is "single", and that person acquires debt and then marries a person with no debt whatsoever, does this new non-debt-acquiring spouse now have a bad credit rating? Can creditors chase them down for their spouse's debt? Will this non-debt-acquiring spouse be able to get a loan in their name, buy a house, etc?

*NOT CERTAIN ABOUT THIS* - I'd imagine the person with no bad debts rating wouldn't be affected but if they made a joint application with their spouse an overall score/the bad score would be be considered.

3) Does anyone know of any ways to build credit in Ireland while living overseas?

[/QUOTE]

Missing payments will drag it down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It depends really. Some debts will be sold to debt collection agencies, who will do what they can to track the debtor.

I know of a friend of mine who left Scotland with debt and was tracked down in Ireland. It wasn't all that much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Missing payments will drag it down anyway.

Oh, I meant ways for the non-debt-acquiring spouse to build credit, not the spouse that already has debts.

Thank you both for your responses. I kinda figured that debt could follow someone across the border, but I wasn't sure.

Definitely still confused about the marriage and debt thing. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Oh, I meant ways for the non-debt-acquiring spouse to build credit, not the spouse that already has debts.

Thank you both for your responses. I kinda figured that debt could follow someone across the border, but I wasn't sure.

Definitely still confused about the marriage and debt thing. :confused:

You could try opening a non-resident account with a bank in Ireland and then arrange to close or convert it if you move here.

I'm guessing that may be a way, but that may not work but I'm sure there would be some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Blackjack wrote:
    You could try opening a non-resident account with a bank in Ireland and then arrange to close or convert it if you move here.

I'm guessing that may be a way, but that may not work but I'm sure there would be some way.
    That's a good idea! Thank you! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement