Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheques

Options
  • 28-11-2006 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Is my understanding of cheques correct, when I say

That if I make a cheque out to "cash" it can be transferred for money in any bank branch straight away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think so. The last cheque I had for "cash" I had to lodge first. Bank said it was a security precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

If you make it out to cash it can be cashed at the bank it was drawn upon (i.e. address on the cheque in the top right corner).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

it can only be exchanged for cash in the exact branch of the bank that appears on the top of the cheque, for example Bank of Ireland, 50 Example Street, Donegal

and even then, only if it is not ceossed with "a/c payee only", as that means it must go into the account of the payee

things used to be more lax, and perhaps if you are "known" in a branch they will cash it, but in general the above is the case

Advertisement