Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

golf membership and golf lessons

Options
  • 28-11-2006 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

hi lads, and im sure a few lassies as well

im thinking of buying my dad some golfing lessons for christmas, or membership to a golf club, or both, depends on prices

basically, my dad has never played properly before(nor have I), but is always saying he should take it up, so, i reckon this christmas could be the perfect time

heres where you folks come in, what prices would i be looking at, re lessons, and membership etc....

any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Hi

I live in Celbridge and got a flyer for the GUI National Academy up in Carton House today.

It has membership for 99 euro and that gets you 50% off balls, practice time, putting green etc.

Lessons are available also but it's not a golf club you are joining - just a practice facility where you can get lessons.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

cheers, ive emailed the spawell in templeogue/tallaght, they do lessons, but it doesnt have a price on the website, hopefully they`ll get back to me soon enough

the reason im doing this is my dad has been a keen runner since he was young, but he`s 51 now, so no spring chicken ,but he cant stay in doors, so i reckon this is a decent thing for a chap of his age to take up

thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

slumped wrote:
    Hi

I live in Celbridge and got a flyer for the GUI National Academy up in Carton House today.

It has membership for 99 euro and that gets you 50% off balls, practice time, putting green etc.

Lessons are available also but it's not a golf club you are joining - just a practice facility where you can get lessons.

S

Sorry for changing the OP's subject, but was just wondering what exactly you get for your 99bills in Carton? I'm not too far from it myself and have an extensive winter workshop planned for my game. Where better than Carton?! I

* Does 99quid cover a year's membership?
    * How much is it, for example, to use the short game facility for an hour or whatever?
    * Any discount of lessons?

Also, phone numb and/or website on the flyer?

Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

hi lads, and im sure a few lassies as well

im thinking of buying my dad some golfing lessons for christmas, or membership to a golf club, or both, depends on prices

basically, my dad has never played properly before(nor have I), but is always saying he should take it up, so, i reckon this christmas could be the perfect time

heres where you folks come in, what prices would i be looking at, re lessons, and membership etc....

any help would be greatly appreciated

Generally speaking you cannot "buy" membership of a golf club.
    You have to be proposed and seconded by a member.

Pros usually charge 30 euro for a half hour lesson

What I would suggest is he gets a few lessons,go to a "pay and play" course

Elmgreen for instance and see how it goes. You are talking fairly big bucks to join any reasonable golf club...five figs like plus fees:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

5 figures, as in 10 grand plus for a years membership, thats ****ing robbery :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

and what do you mean, plus fees?

No not 10k for a years membership.

There would be an initial joining fee which could,in a Dublin club,be from 9k to well anything really. then its a yearly sub,usually around 900 depending on levies.

An average private members club in Dublin would be 10-20 k initial fee and a grand a year after that!!!.. She aint a cheap sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

He's right you know, joining fees can be expensive they could buy you a new car, in some clubs that car would be an Alfa

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

A half hour lesson at the GUI in Carton House will cost you Euro50. It's euro90 per hour.

If the euro99 per year gets you any discount of that then it's probably a good deal.

BTW most (not all) of the joining fees at golf clubs buy you a share in the club, which means that you could resell it at a later date for the same sort of money. Most of them seem to appreciate in value. It doesn't make finding the cash any easier, but it may make it easier to justify.

I would have to disagree there.

I would estimate that less than 15% of clubs have a share system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

GreenHorn wrote:
    Sorry for changing the OP's subject, but was just wondering what exactly you get for your 99bills in Carton? I'm not too far from it myself and have an extensive winter workshop planned for my game. Where better than Carton?! I

* Does 99quid cover a year's membership?
    * How much is it, for example, to use the short game facility for an hour or whatever?
    * Any discount of lessons?

Also, phone numb and/or website on the flyer?

Cheers...

found the flyer in the green bin - oops!

01 5054040 - does not mention reductions on lessons

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

slumped wrote:
    found the flyer in the green bin - oops!

01 5054040 - does not mention reductions on lessons

S

Many Thanks...

Advertisement