Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday blues

Options
  • 28-11-2006 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Whenever I watch holiday programmes I'm always keen. As soon as the holiday is booked I regret it! Coming up to the month of the holiday and I'm in bits, its not that I don't want to go - its just that I start to panic - about getting to the airport, going from the airport to the hotel, getting around in a foreigh city or country. Will the hotel or apartment be o.k? What about transport? The whole holiday is spoilt before I even leave home. Am I the only person like this out there? Whats the solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are not alone but why don't you just put together a travel pack of whatever you can think of that you need right now? Work ahead to get yourself moving, get organised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sounds like you could use a travel partner that doesn't mind putting the package together? Got a b/f or good friend that can fulfill this role and would have fun going with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Everyone has some degree of nerves about travelling. I've been abroad quite a lot and even still before I go on holidays I worry about some things and how they'll work out. But without fail I always have a good time on holidays .... even when things go less well off than planned (like our passports being robbed this year or almost missing the train in siberia another year :rolleyes: ).

Are you travelling alone? I always find that travelling with a close friend or with family is great because you provide security to each other. The way to think of it is even if something did go wrong you (and your travelling partners) are mature enough and intelligent enough to be able to sort it out and continue having a great holiday. No holiday is going to go perfectly, there'll always be something that crops up just like every other undertaking in life. You just need to be confident in your own ability to solve them ...... and trust me it does get easier over time ....... you may eventually even get blaise about the whole thing . Just another airport/country YAAAAAAAAAWN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Do you actually enjoy the holiday once you've arrived? And is the enjoyment worth all the hassle you experience beforehand? If not, just don't bother with holidays at all and do new stuff in your own locality instead. Travel is seen as a miracle cure for all ills by many nowadays but it's not so imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm terrible for travel nerves.

I've been on countless trips for holidays and work and everything is fine until
    the actual travel day and nerves kick in about missing flights or connections
    etc. I'm usually in the airport about 3 or 4 hours before a flight ... and even
    then I worry that I've forgotten something important despite having packed
    and repacked 100 times.

In my case its on account of a trip that could have gone very wrong as I was
    kinda drunk and mislaid my passport and all my belongings. Left them in a mates hotel, got separated while on a session, and couldnt remember the name or location of the place. Had no phone either and flight was very early the next morning.

By pure fluke I hopped on a bus to somewhere, got off at a random stop
    on account of being drunk and bumped into my mate in a chipper!

• Advertisement
Advertisement