Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Tired

Options
  • 28-11-2006 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Lately I've been feeling really tired and I can't figure out why. My day is average, I go to college at about 10/11am most days and never have more than 3 hours. Three evenings a week I work in a clothes shop for 5 hours and on Saturdays I work for 9 hours. I walk everywhere as it's my only way to get excercise. I also don't eat much junk food, mainly fruit and veg. I normally go to bed at 12. Despite this I am wrecked and am having real trouble getting up in the morning. As soon as I lie down I fall asleep basically. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You say you go to college at 10/11am, but what time do you get up?

You say you eat *mainly* fruit and veg, but what about carbohydrates (breads, pastas, rice, etc) and proteins (meats)?

What are your meals like? When you're in work, do you go and buy stuff in a shop or do you go and get a proper meal? Do you have a proper lunch in college, and a proper breakfast before you leave college?

Do you do many late nights on the weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I know when I was going to college I never went asleep before 1 or 2am, which led me to be wrecked tired for most of the following day. All I had to do was be strict with myself and get in bed with telly off before 12am.

My mam was always really tired and the doc figured out that she was iron deficiant (sp?), so she went on a prescription tablet and she was grand afterwards.

As previously mentioned, you didn't specify the amount of carbohydrates you take in (pasta/potato/rice etc). This would help your energy store immensly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Are you in first year of college? I remember when I first started college I was always wrecked. I would go to bed at a reasonable time and get up at 8.30 approx unable to open my eyes, exhausted. This all stopped in at most, second year when I had adjusted to the new way. It'll probably pass.

Some advice, go to bed earlier than 12 for a while and see if it is infact lack of sleep you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Go to the Doctor and get him ti give U a blood test.

Only as an example,
    Maybe U have an underactive thyroid gland - this would cause
    much tiredness but is easy for the doctor to find with a blood test and treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Zzzzz wrote:
    Hi all. Lately I've been feeling really tired and I can't figure out why. My day is average, I go to college at about 10/11am most days and never have more than 3 hours. Three evenings a week I work in a clothes shop for 5 hours and on Saturdays I work for 9 hours. I walk everywhere as it's my only way to get excercise. I also don't eat much junk food, mainly fruit and veg. I normally go to bed at 12. Despite this I am wrecked and am having real trouble getting up in the morning. As soon as I lie down I fall asleep basically. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was exactly the same as you when I was in college. Turns out it was diabetes!

not trying to scare you, but you probably should just get checked out anway - not necessarily for that, just in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Might sound mad, but have you tried pushing yourself regarding the exercise thing? it might be good for you, just to try a 20-30 minute run 2 or 3 times a week. i'd say I have a lot more energy since I started running and cycling a few times a week. OK I'm knackered by midnight, even at the weekends, but I definitely feel better during the day. Failing that, a tonic can be good too like Metatone or something like that that.

trip to the Doctor is a good start though...

'I've been really tired lately too. I think it may be a lack of iron. Can anyone recommend any good sources of iron/iron supplements?'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

As`TBH said, please go to a doctor about this to rule out any medical problems, it will not hurt, honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, medical problems can deffo be the route of tiredness. a visit to the doc and a blood test will hopefully tell you the answer. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was always tired like this through my late teens. Could never get to the bottom of it no matter what i tried. Turns out i had Crohn's disease! Not trying to scare you or anything ;) might be a good idea to get checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I also have/had the problem but now i taking vitamen tablets "Seven Seas multibionta" and they seem to be doing track. 100% RDA of most vitamens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Yea, Multibionta is good. Pharmaton is useless. You could have SAD (winter blues) or swollen glands? Get your bloods checked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Could be due to one or more factors. Diet, vitamins, exercise, sleeping habits, bed that you sleep on, drinking, recreational drugs, motivation/attitude, who knows? I would start with a visit to my GP to eliminate any possible medical problem or deficiency. Walking is good, but often not strenuous enough for someone young as you are. Join a SOC that's into some sport or fitness, or frequent the uni gym (working it around your work schedule)? Or find a lad that likes to dance a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Like the others said go to the doctor and get some blood tests done. When i felt like that it was Vitamin B12 defiency. It could be anything (like everyone had tiredness above yet had a diffrerent problem), or it could be nothing. Best off to see your doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Get some exercise and plenty of bread and other carbs - it'll keep you going and you'll sleep much sounder at night

'I was always tired had to have iron injections at one stage my iron level was so low am now 39 and was only diagnosed last year with Coeliac Disease, it should have been picked up sooner seeing as I was frequently low in iron and Vitamin B, don't struggle on, there is probably an underlying reason, definitely make an appointment with your Doctor to get some bloods done'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Similar experience near the end of secondary school. Turns out it was glandular fever.

I'm not saying you have it obviously but you should head to the doctor to get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How do you feel about life. Are you bored or unenthusiastic about things?

I think drop along to the college nurse / doctor (won´t cost much if anything) and explain where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzis, this is a cheery thread!

I used to be like that. Turns out I had leprosy! :eek:

:p

As has been mentioned, it'd be worth going to a doctor and getting checked out. My brother is always tired, got a blood test and it returned normal. Still don't know why he's always tired...

Are you on any medication? It might be a side-effect. I used to have terrible vision and everything would go blurry all the time, so I got an eye test, and the optician said I have "better than 20/20" vision. I don't know if that's possible, but that's what she said. Turns out the blurriness was a side-effect of drugs I was on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm the same these days, I'm always exhausted. I used to be able to get up for work really early but now it's a struggle getting up before 8 a.m. I don't know why I'm so tired all of a sudden but I'm gonna get a tonic and multi-vitamins this weekend. I think I may just be run down, I haven't had many days off at all this year, so I think I'm just over-worked. Looking forward to Christmas where I'm gonna do absolutely nothing but sleep and eat. YAY :) The gym doesn't really seem to be fixing matters either. I was going to the gym but it wasn't raising my energy levels at all, and then about two weeks ago, I stopped going coz I just had no energy to go at 8 in the evening coz I was so shattered from work.

Maybe these multi-vitamins will sort me out, pleeease!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

DaveMcG wrote:
    As has been mentioned, it'd be worth going to a doctor and getting checked out. My brother is always tired, got a blood test and it returned normal. Still don't know why he's always tired...

That's the same as me. I think it's stress, though.

Advertisement