Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"This is quoting" but Aoife believes this is quoting is...?

Options
  • 27-11-2006 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hello,

Maybe this is a weird one.

John said, "I love hotdogs."

^--I am "quoting" John, right?

So what is this called -

John loves hotdogs.

I am basing it on his quote, but I amn't using his quote. Is there a name for that??

Thanks... weird question, I know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

It's just a statement, there is no indication that John is confirming its veracity or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

Hmmm. I think there should be a name for it. You are stating what someone said, but not quite in their words...

Do you know what I mean??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What he said,there is a name for it-A statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

You could say that you are paraphrasing him but dont mind me i'm not entirely sure how i ended up on this thread

*returns to wandering the net in a daze*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The closest thing to what you're trying to call it is indirect speech (sometimes called reported speech).

You could say "John said he loves hotdogs".
    You are not quoting him directly, but you are implying that he said it, and that it's not just something you're stating as fact.

As it is, you just stating that John loves hotdogs, as others have said, is just a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You are stating what someone said
    No you aren't, there's nothing in the sentence "John loves hotdogs" to indicate that you are off this opinion because you heard John say so. You could have seen him eat hotdogs on numerous occasions, you could have processed an order to have 20 packs of pølser and pølserbrød shipped in from Denmark every week to his home address, you could dislike John and harbour a paranoid fantasy that hotdog-lovers where behind every bad thing that ever happened to you and hence he's probably another one of those hotdog-loving freaks, aren't you John, aren't you? I ****ing know that you are, I know what you're up to John, you hear me!

Advertisement