Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster bank card lockout

Options
  • 27-11-2006 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I got my PIN wrong three times; I keep my number "encoded" on my phone; it ran out of battery, so I had to try and remember it.

When I got my phone charged up, it locked me out of my account.

This is really frustrating. It was already too late to go to a bank.

I really need money for food and I'm not sure what to do.

It would make sense to me if it unlocked after an hour or so. I don't think many people use Brute force to get a stolen card working somehow, and at three attempts an hour they're not going to get anywhere much.. This is just inconveniencing people like me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Its a security feature ffs. It's not their fault you cant remember a FOUR digit number.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Rozie wrote:
    It would make sense to me if it unlocked after an hour or so.

I bet you wouldn't be saying that if your card had been nicked..
    Rozie wrote:
    This is just inconveniencing people like me.

People like you? What, you mean people who can't remember a whole four digits that you can actually choose yourself? Yeah you're right. Those banks and their attempts at keeping your money safe....what a pack of bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Peacheh wrote:
    I bet you wouldn't be saying that if your card had been nicked..

People like you? What, you mean people who can't remember a whole four digits that you can actually choose yourself? Yeah you're right. Those banks and their attempts at keeping your money safe....what a pack of bastards!
    Lol.

Inconvenient to those suffering from alzheimers perhaps.

Rozie: You'll have to request a new pin so you won't be able to use that card for a few days, hope you've learnt your lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pacifico wrote:
    Its a security feature ffs. It's not their fault you cant remember a FOUR digit number.....

Moved from AH.
    Yep, it would be a different story if all your money was nicked because there was no feature there at all OP. It is there to protect user accounts from intruders. You can't blame anyone but yourself for this one.

Ring up Ulster Bank, request a new pin and borrow some money from a mate until it comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Whats the whole "3 per hour thing" ? Sure when your card is blocked thats it; its useless !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Whats the whole "3 per hour thing" ? Sure when your card is blocked thats it; its useless !

What do you mean?

I was suggesting that your card could be unblocked if you enterred the correct PIN 3 times, while it was being "rejected".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Rozie wrote:
    Jesus some of you people are assholes.

I didn't choose my PIN, I got it only a few weeks ago as my last card got snapped when fighting with a greedy ATM. It's not my fault if I have poor memory. It's not like I get up in the morning and say "Well, I think I'm going to be a forgetful bastard today". It is your fault if you think it's cool to be a wanker to someone over the internet who's asking an honest question.

If someone stole my bank-card they wouldn't be able to get it through brute force. There are 9999 combinations, and they'd only be able to try 3 an hour. While there's the chance, most people wouldn't bother. That's not how they steal money, they use "key logging" devices or "over the shoulder". If I lost my card I would cancel it immediately; I have had money disappear from my account before, and I very much doubt they got it through brute force. It is far, far more likely to be someone who's forgotten their number.

Why not have a workaround - if you enter your number correctly 3 times, it unlocks it? That'd work fine. There would be no indication that you got it once, your card would be rejected twice, so only someone who has the correct PIN would be able to unlock it.

I can't eat for the next few days then, AND I have to walk into college. Excellent.

Eh you could have changed it...... :rolleyes: I suppose some people are just stupid..... Ur the very person who would march up to the branch and accuse the bank of not having enough security measures in place to protect your money

Mods: I know Ive called her stupid but in fairness if you cant rem the pin for ur ATM card well then ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I can't eat for the next few days then, AND I have to walk into college. Excellent.

OMG :eek: just go into a Ulster Bank with a Photo ID, god ur making such a big deal out of NOTHING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Rozie wrote:
    Jesus some of you people are assholes.

I didn't choose my PIN, I got it only a few weeks ago as my last card got snapped when fighting with a greedy ATM. It's not my fault if I have poor memory. It's not like I get up in the morning and say "Well, I think I'm going to be a forgetful bastard today". It is your fault if you think it's cool to be a wanker to someone over the internet who's asking an honest question.

ROFL...personal abuse much?

As for your "honest question"...Eh, where? All you did was have a rant about your account being disabled because you entered your PIN incorrectly 3 times. What did you expect people to say?
    stepbar wrote:
    OMG :eek: just go into a Ulster Bank with a Photo ID, god ur making such a big deal out of NOTHING

QFT

Ulster bank cards usually unlock the next day automatically.
    But at the minute they are having a problem, My card has been locked for two weeks because of a system error.
    They were supposed to contact me when things were working again, but as yet no word.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote:
    Ulster bank cards usually unlock the next day automatically.
    But at the minute they are having a problem, My card has been locked for two weeks because of a system error.
    They were supposed to contact me when things were working again, but as yet no word.

Thanks for the info. I hope this doesn't happen me. I'm dreadful for loosing money, I can't go the Ulster Bank every time I need money... going to need to get a lot out tomorrow.

If I can find my passport that is :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Go to an Ulster Bank ATM, go to the Card Services option and there will be an option there to unblock your pin.

Then change it to something non-obvious that youll be able to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

stepbar wrote:
    Ur the very person who would march up to the branch and accuse the bank of not having enough security measures in place to protect your money
    I work in security and you know you're dead right. Half the time we do things to protect people from themselves, and they'd be the first people to demand compensation when they lose their card complete with the PIN they've tipexed onto the back.

Moriarty wrote:
    Go to an Ulster Bank ATM, go to the Card Services option and there will be an option there to unblock your pin.

Then change it to something non-obvious that youll be able to remember.

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Rozie wrote:
    There are 9999 combinations

Technically, there are 10,000...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Perhaps change the PIN to one of your choice when at the ATM, assuming Ulster Bank allow such a service?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

BuffyBot wrote:
    Perhaps change the PIN to one of your choice when at the ATM, assuming Ulster Bank allow such a service?
    No see, that would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

There are 9999 combinations.

OP, how many of those combinations would your average thief have to go through before they reached your number. It might only take them a few hours to get to it - even if the card is locked for an hour each time the PIN is entered incorrectly 3 times.

Advertisement