Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning after pill

Options
  • 27-11-2006 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had unprotected sex with a complete stranger on Saturday night, I was really drunk (no excuse), anyway I asked him after if he came inside me and he said he thought he did. I have never taken the morning after pill before, I was just wondering the time frame within I have to use it and how badly does it affect you ie sickness etc. I rang the bloody doctors surgery and they have no appointments today, would tomorrow be too late..advice please. I was on the pill but I decided to give it up for a while.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It can be effective up to 72 hours, but the sooner the better.

In a way you're lucky he "thought" he'd come inside you as if he'd thought otherwise you'd presumably not be taking action about this though you could still potentially be pregnant.

There's a sticky in this forum about where you can go for a STI tests also.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Phenobarbidoll

You need to take it asap. It's effective for up to 72 hours, but the nearer that time you leave it, the less effective it is.

You can get anti-sickness tablets from the doctor with it, which are great. Don't go without taking them - it effects everyone differently, but most people do feel a bit off when taking them.

If you can't get in to your gp, tell the receptionist that it's for emergency contraception. They might be able to squeeze you in. If not, go to the well woman clinic or another doctor. In this situation, any doctor who can write a prescription will do - it doesn't have to be your own.

Once you get that sorted, you'll also need to have to talk to your doctor about getting various blood tests for std's and sti's. Don't neglect to get them done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

IF your gp can not fit you in which they shoudl if you tell them it is for emergency contractoption then have a look at what family planning clincs are near you and if you are not near to one ring your local A&E and talk to the matron there about coming into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

did you find any cum outside you or on you? If not then he came in you. Get sorted quick and get std tests, I sincerely hope this is not your "normal" behaviour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

The sooner you take it after the event the more effective it is. Where are you based? In Dublin? If in city centre I can giev you phone numbers of a couple of WW clinics. If not, phone your GP again and tell them it's an emergency. Try and get this sorted by lunchtime if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Steyr wrote:
    did you find any cum outside you or on you? If not then he came in you. Get sorted quick and get std tests, I sincerely hope this is not your "normal" behaviour....

She asked for advice on the morning after pill, not for the boards moral police to make judgements on her.

She asked for advice on the morning after pill, not for the boards moral police to make judgements on her.

i just wouldnt be that silly to do such a thing, not exactly moral but about self respect...amazing what a one nighter can do isnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Hey OP,

Doctors will have emergency slots available for people so make sure to let the receptionist aware of why you want the appointment. People can't always plan when they are sick you know :)

As the morning after pill is considered emergency contraception I thing you should head along asap.

Best of luck,
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Steyr wrote:
    i just wouldnt be that silly to do such a thing, not exactly moral but about self respect...amazing what a one nighter can do isnt it.

Steyr I think you should start a seperate thread on how amazing you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Check with GP? Both morning after pill and get STI tested?

Thaedydal wrote:
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

I have fantastic days, all im saying is next time something like this happens just "think" she even said herself drink was no excuse but still went ahead with it and look where she is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

steyr = egomaniac

Advertisement