Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UGH! I hate my boss....

Options
  • 26-11-2006 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

To make a long story short: I made a mistake earlier this evening, my boss arrived within a minute and I explained it to her(I had hired a DVD to a customer who had had a high fine and already had a DVD un-returned(Which, I honestly didn't see that on screen) and I apologised. But then she ate the head off me, saying that "I should NEVER let a DVD out under those circumstances" but the guys were drunk and seemed a bit iintimadating so I let them off. She rang him and ranted down the phone.

Ok, it was a pretty big mistake to make, but I feel even though I owned up i don' see why she hd to act as angry as she did.

Sorry if this seems pointless, I needed to let it off my chest.
    All comment welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's very simple.
    Get a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Agree with B I'm afraid. If you don't like it, leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Ok,it was a pretty big mistake to make, but I feel even though I owned up i don' see why she hd to act as angry as she did.

All comment welcome!

Pretty Big Mistake would be giving out wrong change not giving away a DVD worth less than €10 to a customer you know.

Leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

she ate the head off me
    All comment welcome!

Leave. No one has the right to talk to you in a demeaning, belittling manner even your boss.

If your unhappy with your work environment you can approach it in one of 2 ways:

1) Talk to your boss and advise her that you don't want her to talk to you in a bullying manner anymore. She is entitled to pull you up for mistakes but in a mature, constructive fashion. Workplace bullying is illegal.

If she refuses or makes your life more difficult you could consider contacting a trade union who should generally be happy to provide advice and assistance.

2) If you don't have the stomach for a fight then quit. There's nothing worse than going to work in a negative bullying environment. It'll bring you down and affect your sense of self respect and personal wellbeing.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'I'm sure 'de boss' can write off against tax any losses as business costs - for example, if the DVDs go missing.

So, tell her to stick her job up her hole.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

We all have bad days, if it's the first time something like this has happened, I'd give her a chance to apologise. If it's a repeating pattern then I'd complain & probably leave eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Perhaps you just caught her in a bad moment, I imagine that shes the one who has to ring customers about over due unreturned dvds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Why not stand up to her without being aggressive or running away? Tell her tomorrow that you are genuinely sorry for your inexcusable mistake but that you don't like being shouted at and that if it was just a once off that's fine. Maybe she only behaves like that with people who let her. Maybe she doesn't want the hassle of getting new staff. If it works out it might make for a better working environment.

If she bites the head off you again you can leave. If she does have a fit and you want to really wind her up, look compassionately at her, put your hand on her arm and ask if she's sure everything is OK. That always drives people spastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

You made a mistake you needed to be reprimanded for that. Sometimes the point needs to be driven home. I presume you're not somebody who makes mistakes often.

IF she shouted at you then that would be inappropriate. If she has a habit of verbally abusing you then you should make an official complaint or leave.

Highlight the fact that the customer was drunk and that you were afraid what their reaction might be if you refused to serve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hey Op, why don't you be the one to go out to the house of those guys and get back the DVD when it's due - otherwise don't complain about your boss!

Your boss has to deal with the consequences of your actions while you sit and say oops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

If an employer wants to reprimand an employee, they are supposed to let you know and have a witness present when they are giving you a bollicking. But she didn't. Tell her you do not appreciate being spoken to in that manner. Stay calm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Tell her to go fuck herself, point out that she is in a dead end job and then promptly leave, never to put this employment on your CV:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Smile and bite the bullet, or move onto another job? Oh, I find when I get upset with the people I work for, it really helps to workout hard afterwards, especially on the heavy bag (lots of kicks and punches). A good stress reliever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Shiriking you is one thing (and its wrong) but phoning up the customer and shiriking them. If I was that customer I would be composing a very nice letter to the CEO as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hey OP, sounds like yo manager is on a power trip. I too work in a video store to put me through college. Everyone in the shop is a great laugh including the managers, now the odd time the senior manager goes off on one over something or another (not as bad as you explain now I must admit). But whether its directed at me or not I laugh myself silly out of sight, I just cant believe they think they are making such a difference to the world by managing a video store.

If you work for Xtra-Vision there is an anonymous employee grievence hotline you can ring and explain your position. I completly understand what you did was under duress to a point, I too minimise setting off drunkards by not saying no if I can avoid it. You did the right thing in my opinion. I refuse to recieve abuse over the counter for what I get paid, when customers come into the shop on the warpath over something I always very calmly refer them to a manager and kindly ask them to get outta my face because I refuse to be taken for a ride for the wages I get.

I've had experience of such managers that you have described, the way I delt with the situation was to give them as little to complain about as possible while quietly looking for new employment, then dropping then in the **** as much as possible (leaving xmas week should do the trick for you).

The bottom line being I feel your mistake did not warrent your punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Regardless that its a dead end job, and not all that important, or that a manager can't handle staff well. Its really poor that you can't do something that basic right. If you really have that little interest in the job get a different job, and you won't be bored stiff and pissing yourself and others off. Your wasting you time there. Find something you rather be doing and go do it!

Advertisement