Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIRIS GPS T920EF owner?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Actually I'm on page 13 of an amazingly long thread on the T920 and it seems that it comes with the ability to change languages ( and the female announce voice)....

EDIT: Have now discovered that the Q2 2006 update was for UK/Ireland only so buying one in France may not be such a good idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

I bought one from france last week (200 euro for the french version - I won't actually be getting til next week, got it sent to a friends french address).

I am almost positive that the settings can be changed for english. As for the uk/ireland map, a user on this forum posted a link to the latest maps (rapidshare so undoubtedly not legal, I am sure the thread has since been deleted) and I have to admit that I downloaded them.

Thx for that dal, the only problem now seems to be that as the OS (Windows CE) is flashed to ROM, everytime you turn it off and back on again it'll load the French interface by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Do you mean that Route66 defaults to french every time you turn it on?

I don't mind too much as I speak french fluently, but I am guessing that there must be a way to change this (could be an OS setting or something).

Edit:
    Actually, I think this happens in all airis units. The ones from pimania.ie seem to default to spanish. See halfway down this page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52401485

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The languages can be loaded when you install the maps. You can load british english, american english, and some crazy european languages. :) As they are stored in the card you shouldn't need to keep reloading it. Same for the software language, they all start in spanish, but change it to english and then as long as you only put it into standby and not off, will retain language settings.

• Advertisement

Not according to the posts on this thread by MartyW and CAL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sheilaos

Hi,

Am thinking of buying a GPS for the boyfriend for christmas -- based in France. Is the AIRIS GPS autonome T920EF the best one in terms of french road maps? (it seems to be the cheapest?)

Any advice much appreciated.
    Thanks

Sheila

sheilaos, AFAIK there isn't as much as a difference between different GPS systems regarding maps as there is in ireland. Because of all out new moterways, by-passes and such the road network in Ireland is always changing while it's much more static in France.

In my office the most popular models are which everyone is happy with are :

ViaMichelin X930
    Tom Tom One
    MyGuide 3000

If I had a car I'd probably get the T920EF for France/Europe.

http://www.rue-montgallet.com/prix/recherche/?cp=75012&kw=gps&site=1&cat=778

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sheilaos

thanks Ponster for that, you've helped me a lot there!
    i'll take a look at the various ones you suggested and see what suits best. we would probably use it in Spain and Ireland too so maybe a European version is better. (like the model you said you'd get)

Can I ask a really dumb question??!
    Is there anything special the car has to have in order to install this??

Thanks
    S.

Nope, nothing at all. A friend could borrow one from you and all you'd have to do is give him the unit to stick to the windscreen and away they go. Others here can give you info regarding some windscreens that have a wire mesh in them for heating purposes that can interfer with the signal with some systems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

The Airis unit comes with Spanish as the default language. Airis are a Spanish company.

When using the unit as a simple GPS unit then turning off using the main off switch on the bottom will require you to select language and time when turning it on. Only a few clicks involved. Your Home address, favourites etc remain intact. No language or time selection required from standby.

When booting the unit into Windows CE and loading the DivX player etc it will work fine and retain its settings when put into standby, but will loose all its CE settings apps etc when turned off via the bottom button. This requires a bit more setting up to have the DivX running again. About 3 mins to fully set the unit up again. Windows CE remains in Spanish all the time, The DivX player can be changed into English.

Some people are complaining about Pixmania's customer service and pointing out a lot of problems. There are many more happy customers who have no issues with the unit, delivery or Pixmania.

I hope this clears up some peoples concerns.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Andrew Benson

Hi just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a reasonably priced copy of European maps that will work on the Airis T920, am using the Route66 Navigator 7 maps of GB & Irl and find them excellent. Would appreciate any help as planning on a driving holiday in italy & france in the summer. Thanks;)

Advertisement