Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork man sets himself on fire

Options
  • 25-11-2006 10:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is kinda sad in a way - a 25yr old bloke died after setting himself on fire when trying to get the fire going in his gaf by pouring Petrol (!) onto it.
    Really awful way to go, but how dumb was this guy?
    Buy a firelighter, a firelog, firepack, roll up some newspaper, anything, but you never use accelarants in your sitting room.

I wouldnt be surprised to find this one makes it into the Darwin Awards - I'd vote him in anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

There was some kid who lived near me who poured white spirit on a fire because he wanted it to "go bigger". Idiot had to have a skin graft to his face and everything.

I know this guy died and all, but ffs how stupid do you have to be?

/edit: dead stupid...ha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

At least he didnt do it in Tescos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dont they have awards for this sort of thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Mossy Monk wrote:
    dont they have awards for this sort of thing

Sure, the Darwin Awards - awarded to those idiots who do mankind the ultimate favour by removing themselves and their dumb genes from the genepool.
    http://www.thedarwinawards.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I set fire to my chimney around this time last year by using Kerosene as an accelerant to the fire, I sent up such flames the Chimney took off and we had a good old chimney fire. No damage done though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have we a spare darwin award for netwhizkid? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

netwhizkid wrote:
    I set fire to my chimney around this time last year by using Kerosene as an accelerant to the fire, I sent up such flames the Chimney took off and we had a good old chimney fire. No damage done though.

Ditto, except it was white spirit, and the fire was so loud in the chimney I had to get the fire brigade out (and pay for it :mad: )

At a bonfire years back when some knob decided it'd be a great idea to lob a half full cylinder of gas into it; cue a lot of drunken people running out of a field and one almightly boom 30 seconds later.

Burning has to be the worst way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Ive used diesel to start fires in our house. It's not stupid once you only use a tiny amount. It actually works quite well and gets the fire going much quicker than those smelly firelighters. I'm guessing this guy accidentally spilled too much of it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Diesel isn't half as volatile as petrol, so probably a lot safer and less likely to set yourself on fire with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah the danger comes in adding flammable liquid after the fire has caught or is smouldering...the liquid vapourises and then catches and blows back engulfing you (or in my case, whooshes up the chimney and starts the soot blazing)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Anyone see the MSN report on cooking frozen turkeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Anyone see the MSN report on cooking frozen turkeys?

YOU DO REALISE A MAN DIED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tonyinuae

Why don't people just use sugar on the fire instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

He was from Cork, it's not like anyone will miss him.

I'll get me coat :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

oleras wrote:
    YOU DO REALISE A MAN DIED.

Sure I do, and its tragic for his family and friends.
    My point is that this guy died because of his own stupidity. Like many Darwin award winners before him.
    Perhaps we shouldnt get fun out of somebody elses misfortune, but if I did something really stupid and got myself injured or killed, I would expect that someone somewhere would be thinking 'you dumb asshole' or similar.
    Someone get their arm pulled off in Galway last year trying to pet a tiger in a cage - thats funny for us, not for them.
    Joyriders get killed all the time when they crash - hard on their families, but great for manking in general - another couple of scumbags out of the genepool.

Dont know where the frozen turkeys come in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Please do.

T.Sc.

Ah you're from Cork :eek:

didn't realise that electricity had made it down there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

this place is extra funny this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

KTRIC wrote:

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

As much as I'd be proud to have a Darwin award winner attributed to this country I doubt the guys act of self-immolation is unique enough to put him in contention for the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

For some reason at first I thought it was something similar to this

But this is just plain stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

My grandmother used to "Draft" the fire by placing something over the fireplace which created a vacuum and drew the flames up the chimney to get the fire started, one day she used a piece of cardboard and Whooosssshhhh!!!
    Up the chimney it went, set fire to the soot and we had a good old fashioned chimney fire, ah, the days of the chimney fire, how i miss them.

They used to be a pretty common occurence back then, heh.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Waste not, want not.. what we do is keep all the fat from frying pans, baking trays etc in the fridge and if the fire needs a kick start, just get a spoon and dollop it over. It will melt down over the coal and get the thing going in no time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Liquid Oxygen (LOX) for teh win :D

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/
    Scroll down to 'HOBBIES AND OTHER INTERESTS'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

KTRIC wrote:

Lol :D

Sad that someone lost their life in such a retarded way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ruu wrote:
    Have we a spare darwin award for netwhizkid? :)
    Always.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement