Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC or CIT (CompSci)

Options
  • 25-11-2006 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I went to the CIT open day today, and now im even more confused if I should do computer science (UCC) or software development (CIT)

Question I have to ask is: Both provide the same degree, but for a business, would they have any bias against CIT and pick UCC instead?

The practical part really appeals to me, but I already know how to program, essentially all I want now is a piece of paper saying that I can program.

Does UCC also have a placement program like CIT? Are there any advantages to going to UCC over CIT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Here is what you'd be doing on the UCC course:
    http://www.ucc.ie/academic/calendar/science/sci006.html

I know quite a few CS students taking 20 credits of management in their final year and they seem to enjoy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

Not sure about the actual course but i can give you advice on the colleges alright. Spent 4 years in CIT and 2 in UCC and i can honestly say that CIT is a much better college for college life. I made friends for life in there and the lecturers are most helpful. Your just a number in UCC.
    There is no banter in UCC, everyone keeps to their own little groups etc.
    Although it is a far superior college structurally, CIT still gets my vote for overall college life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Not sure about the actual course but i can give you advice on the colleges alright. Spent 4 years in CIT and 2 in UCC and i can honestly say that CIT is a much better college for college life. I made friends for life in there and the lecturers are most helpful. Your just a number in UCC.
    There is no banter in UCC, everyone keeps to their own little groups etc.
    Although it is a far superior college structurally, CIT still gets my vote for overall college life!
    I wouldnt say that, my mentor is forever chasing after me. Im definatley not just a number, its true for the actual lectures but the college does keep an eye out for the science first years since they have that mentoring program.
    You ahve to meet with your mentor before you even register and emet with him about 4 times a year.

UCC is good fun, but I suppose its down to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

the cit course seems like alot of their other courses thrown together. I think when you consider your choice look at both courses and the work experience attached. CIT u do C++ where UCC is java. I'm in the UCC course in 3rd year if you want you can ask me anything you need to know about the course. Just send me a pm. Also it all depends, being biased I'd say there are some of the best lecturers in UCC and you do learn alot. It all depends where you see yourself going after your degree.

Advertisement