Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats that Lassie .....

Options
  • 25-11-2006 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

What would the world be like if you could actually talk to your dog, or if you went to the zoo and the Monkeys abused you Verbally ?

Would you like to be able to talk to the animals in a Dr. Dolittleesqe way and have them talk back or would we be opening a whole weird, loner, beastiality, can of worms ?

Personally i think that while it may be interesting to see what they are thinking i think it would get really creapy, really fast.

Comments ?

If you could talk to the animals, walk with the animals: Would You ? 39 votes

Yes, Whassup Fluffy !!!
    0%
    No, A bit too freaky for me !!
    87%
    Mossy MonkWintersRedrocketandrew163Big EarsFwaggleUser45701_blank_Ciaran500tj-music.comRbSkellington[Deleted User]DonkeyStyle \o/GaspodeTar.AldarionKingsizep~bme and the bizstepbar 34 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    12%
    CalidenJ.R.HARTLEYPazaz 21Chakarmarkontap 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

This casts my mind back to the far side cartoon where a scientist has a device for understanding dogs, he's walking down the road and all the dogs are going "Hey! Hey!".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Everything could go all Dr. Moreaux. Except without the genetic experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It would be nice to have a little monkey that I could talk to. It could sit on my shoulder and help me kidnap Indiana Jones's girlfriends. Also I would have an eyepatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Animals aren't as intelligent as we are, so if we could translate their expresive noises in to an english representation we'd all probably get so frustrated over how retarded they are.

• Advertisement

Aren't dolphins smarter than us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

I doubt it^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Spike wrote:
    Yeah, how the hell did they figure that one out?
    Aptitude test?

Yes. Thats why Dolphins go regularly to see 'Human shows' to see such acts like 'Jump through the hoop'. Sometimes the dolphin trainers let baby dolphins get the chance to walk with humans. Its great.

T.Sc.

Surely that'd be down to us having arms and legs and being able catch the feckers.

• Advertisement

I just meant they're all clever and ****. I saw it in the Discovery channel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Spike wrote:
    I just meant they're all clever and ****. I saw it in the Discovery channel!

I genuinely heard that too a few times. Wondered how they came to the conclusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Token Simpsons quote. "In fact, in Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people."
    "If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Crucifix wrote:
    This casts my mind back to the far side cartoon where a scientist has a device for understanding dogs, he's walking down the road and all the dogs are going "Hey! Hey!".

Hehe, that man is a genious.

I'd like to be able to do it, but only if it were a helmet like the Far Side cartoon or something. I'd hate to be able to hear them always.

I'd assume though that if we taught them english they could become as smart as us

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Tune in next time to "Dolphins: all clever and ****". Did Discovery actually expand upon what they meant by "****" or no?

Boo-urns to this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Spike wrote:
    Speak for yourself deares Spike. (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Atari Jaguar
    "Whose leg do ya have to hump around here to get a dry martini !!"

Speak for yourself deares Spike. (:

Avril's a man.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You die. You die now!
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Atari Jaguar
    WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONARE

Chris: So for one million pounds, who was the 5th Pharoh of Egypt ?
    Was it (A) "Eeek" (B) "Eeek Eeek" (C) "Eek Eek Eeeeeek" or (D) "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

You die. You die now!
    :P

And I'm pretty sure she had a little-known part in Dark City too.

OT: Something just occured to me there - how is it parrots can learn to speak english (what about other languages?), but can other animals?

/wanders off to google

Parrots and some other birds/animals can mimic sounds. Yes, it can be done in any language. Parrots can talk because they have a syrinx whereas we have a larynx.

Dark City? Never heard of it.

Cool...so you could teach a parrot to speak Japanese? Now that I want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Spike wrote:
    Cool...so you could teach a parrot to speak Japanese? Now that I want to hear.
    No no, parrots only speak Pirate talk, that's why they are called parrots - it sounds like Pirate, but you can tell that it isn't 'Pirate'. Hence the name.

What about Japanese Pirates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Spike wrote:
    They're smarter than you, but that's an exception.

Wow well done, how long'd that take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

If animals were able to talk, we'd probably have to stop eating them. The only way they could talk though was if they were intelligent, conscious, sentient or whatever you want to call it (which would be the reason to stop eating them rather than being just able to make the sounds, we eat parrots right?).

Reminds me of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Arthur Dent learned to speak bird but got bored with conversing with them because all they ever talked about were air currents and airspeed velocity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Spike wrote:
    No, they just have bigger tummy-bannanas.

Advertisement