Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue Tied: Literally!

Options
  • 25-11-2006 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,
    Im 19 years old and recently Ive been thinking alot about something thats been on my mind lately. All my life Ive known I was "tongue tied", my mum told me when I was very young when I tried to imitate my father who could touch the top of his nose with his tongue no problem! Just to fill in people what exactly I mean by "Tongue tied", I cant extend my tongue far at all outside my mouth simply because a piece of tissue connected to the floor of my mouth and tongue prevents me from doing so. It actually never really bothered me until I saw other kids sticking out their tongues when I was younger. I was really shocked by how far other people could stick out their tongues and seriously to this day I still do get really shocked by it, people extending their big lizard tongues a couple of centimeters out of their mouths!
    As a kid I had speech problems but soon I overcame them and speak normally now. The only thing that ever REALLY bothered me about it was kissing. When Im kissing a girl its got to be very simple tongue movements! My current girlfriend does not know about it and it becomes very awkward and often sore for me when she begins to start some serious french kissing. Often she would stick her tongue relatively far into my mouth but when I would try do that back it would be pathetic and very sore and strenuous on my tongue, not enjoyable. Some of you may think I might sound disgusting wishing to stick my tongue far into someones mouth, but when I say I cant extend my tongue far I mean I cant extend my tongue far! Well, Ive only looked into this tongue tied condition lately and discovered the real name is called "Ankyloglossia". Im just wondering does anyone out there have the same condition? If so have you ever looked into a Frenulectomy which is surgery to cut the lingual frenulum(tissue attaching tongue and bottom of mouth)? Ive never really mentioned it to my mum, I think I will though now that Ive looked into it. Has anyone got an idea how much this surgury would cost? Does anyone know anyone else who is tongue tied? Ive never met anyone else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

My brother got the snip done 2yrs ago. Pretty much painless. In and out in no time. He had the same problem as you. It was our dentist that noticed it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

smccarrick wrote:
    Talk to your girlfriend and let her know that you're tongue tied. My girlfriend is tongue tied- before I knew I often thought she didn't really like me when we were kissing. Don't let it fester- tell her.
    I never had the operation myself and never had any other problems with it other than I can not stick my tongue out as far as other people...it has not stopped me from being a good kisser as far as feedback from the people that I have kissed and I do not see the point in having the operation at this stage. I would also be curious to find out about the op more as I did not know that you could get it done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

wow, never knew about this condition. I must have it though cos i can't stick my tongue out at all far... My ex used to tease me about it, in a fun way of course.

Never had any complaints or issues as far as kissing was involved though.

OP, i wouldn't worry about it too much, as always, it's not the size of the boat it's the motion of the ocean(did i get it right did i?), and frankly, too much tongue can be quite nasty! You're thinking way to much into it so chill out man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My brother got that operation when he was bout 15. No big deal. I think maybe if you go doctor and get referred it won't cost anything in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I have it to. My speech and drama teacher noticed it - bothers me occasionally but that's more a personal thing - never decided to get it cut but as far as I know it's a very simple operation - from what I remember of my anatomy course from last year it doesn't have a huge blood supply and it's just a ligament so getting it cut shouldn't be a major problem.

• Advertisement

I have it too. I only found out about it 4 months ago while at the dentist. I did have problems talking but i got over it very easy. i have noticed the pain though. Not with kissing but with other areas:rolleyes: What you have to do is make the most with what you got. I have been complimented with my kisses, just need practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Yeah my sister had the same thing and got it cut, no problems whatsoever, no after effects, everything good, in fact calling it an operation is going too far, it really is a simple and fast procedure. You should ask your doctor about it OP

Advertisement