Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bags under my eyes...

Options
  • 24-11-2006 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Recently i found my eyes to look really tired,not really bags but underneath and to the side its gone quite purple and from a distance it makes my eyes look really dark and tired.In the morning its not too bad but in the evenings and at night it gets worse i do get enough sleep(at least i think i do)and i exercise enough perhaps 2-3 times a week.

Does anybody know what this could be caused by or is there a remedy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

dvega wrote:
    Recently i found my eyes to look really tired,not really bags but underneath and to the side its gone quite purple and from a distance it makes my eyes look really dark and tired.In the morning its not too bad but in the evenings and at night it gets worse i do get enough sleep(at least i think i do)and i exercise enough perhaps 2-3 times a week.

If its purpley colour around the lip/inside of your eye lids then pressing a
    face cloth, soaked in hot water, on your closed eyes will help.

Cant remember the full details but its caused by a build up of stuff in your
    eyelids and the head from the hot face cloth reopen pours etc.
    Something to do with dry eyeballs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

dvega wrote:
    It can be indicative of problems with your liver, especially if you drink too much alcohol or take OTC pain-killers containing Pharacetemol and/or Codeine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Apparently, a quick fix for under-eye bags is Preparation H, aka haemorrhoid cream. You put a little under your eyes and it tightens and brightens the skin!

If it's a long term problem though, and you feel that you're getting enough sleep, then you should see your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Someone once told me it indicated iron defiency, but it could be a complete old wives' tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My buddy has the same problem, he's had it since as long as I've known him. For him it could be a lack of iron, I don't know though.

Here are two pics of his eyes, the one on the right was taken in sepia mode but you can still see the bags, the one on the left you can see it's kinda purpley.

Would like to make some suggestions to him as to what he could do to tone it down a bit. The haemorrhoid solution sounds a bit dodgy to put near your eyes:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Consult with your GP? I would avoid using drugs around my eyes that were not intended for this condition (someone suggested Prep H).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I have the same problem and I'm only 15! I always have baggy eyes no matter how energetic I am. I'm not the best sleeper but I'd say I get enough sleep but I still always have dark circles under my eyes and even sometimes baggy skin around my eyelid. It's horrible! And just under my eyes you can sort of see veins or something....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

DOn't mean to worry ya mate,
    but I always noticed someone I grew up with(friend) always had bags under his eyes. He used to ge slagged for it. I recently learned he has serious problem with liver. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Have read in various places that drinking more water can help. But then they give that as the solution to everything from losing weight to skin and nail and hair conditions. Can't do any harm to drink more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Faith wrote:
    Apparently, a quick fix for under-eye bags is Preparation H, aka haemorrhoid cream..

Erm, would you like to try that first? :p

Nuetrogena eye cream and massaging that part of skin under your eye FTW.

• Advertisement

wyndham wrote:
    Have read in various places that drinking more water can help. But then they give that as the solution to everything from losing weight to skin and nail and hair conditions. Can't do any harm to drink more.

Water is magical, I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink of water:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I used to have this but every night before I go to bed a rub a bit of vaseline underneath my eyes (just a small bit mind) and i noticed an improvement after about a week

How bad did you have it and how much of an improvement did you notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I used to have really dark bags under my eyes, looked like i was sleep deprived even if i got 8-10 hours of constant sleep every night.
    After 3/4 days the bags were much lighter and after a week and a half they were barely noticeable and got quite a few remarks about looking energetic from friends :D

Advertisement