Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbreviated plurals

Options
  • 24-11-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

When you abbreviate a word, like PC, some people put an apostrophe before the s when writing the plural of it, e.g. PC's. I'd usually write it as PCs as you would with a normal plural.

Which is correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I would say PCs as the apostrophe would denote possesion,as in the PC's screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

According to the first few posts from this google search, you are correct in that you don't use the apostrophe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The use of an apostrophes for the plurals of an initialism is generally considered more old-fashioned than the form without. Similarly with the use of periods after each letter, though there's also a matter of some initialisms traditionally having them and some, particularly those acronyms pronouced as words, not.

Both forms are received English though.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

IMO, if you use full stops (eg- P.C.) then you use the apostrophe, but if not, you don't. I think that's preference more than an actual guideline though.

Advertisement