Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long hole boring

Options
  • 24-11-2006 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

does anyone have the ability to drill / bore on or off the lathe holes of 4ft + (10mm) - any ideas welcome - (standard long hole boring kit is not long enough)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I just bought a long hole kit last week and I'm sure the boring tool is 2 ft long or very near it.Would boring and turning the piece around not do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dubtom wrote:
    I just bought a long hole kit last week and I'm sure the boring tool is 2 ft long or very near it.Would boring and turning the piece around not do the job.
    I doubt though whether the two holes would match up over that distance. It's difficult enough as it is with shorter pieces given the auger's propensity to wander off course, especially in end-grain pieces. Plus he seems to want a 10mm hole, and most augers are much smaller than that. Maybe he should try and get hold of one of the tunnel boring machines left over from the Dublin Port Tunnel! (Only joking :) )

Just remembered a tip re: long hole boring .. most of the wandering occurs within the first few inches, so drill as long a hole as you can using an identically sized conventional drill first, and then switch to the auger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

i have the long hole boring kit and although the length is probably just about 2ft - when you take off your tailstock lebgth at each end - it is short - 4ft was just an example through i may want to go bigger if possible - the 10mm is not important - any size would do really - any more suggestion appreciated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 whitehead

geofftulip wrote:
    i have the long hole boring kit and although the length is probably just about 2ft - when you take off your tailstock lebgth at each end - it is short - 4ft was just an example through i may want to go bigger if possible - the 10mm is not important - any size would do really - any more suggestion appreciated....
    I can’t see any problem using the shell auger as regard to the length of bore but standard would not be 10mm.if you have a table saw and you split the blank then reduce the blade to 5mm run both halves over the blade centrally and rejoin/glue the halves it might be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On my lathe, there's just short of 16.5" sticking out past the end of the hollow drive centre when the handle of the auger is against the end of the tailstock quill, so that'd make an absolute max of 33", assuming that you can get that much between centres in the first place (which I can't without a bed extension).

You could always try making your own extra-long auger from a piece of steel rod, I suppose?

• Advertisement
Advertisement