Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone Here Under 30 Made A Will?

Options
  • 24-11-2006 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I was just thinking about this tonight and realised that perhaps I should get around to doing this. I've been living with my girlfriend for two years now and I don't know what would happen to her/my stuff if something unfortunate was to happen to me.
    While I don't possess much, I would hate for her to be left without something to help her along. She's not Irish but she's made a life for herself here and were something to happen to me it's not like it's easy for her to turn to her family for support etc.

If I was making a will I would probably leave everything to her, but then I was thinking my family would probably be pretty peeved if I didn't leave anything to them. So I guess I have to list off everything and who gets what!

Has anyone here made out a will? How did you decide? How much does it cost? Am I crazy for thinking about this, I'm just 29!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I haven't made out one but wouldn't say your mad, never know whats around the corner so I guess it would be good to keep your assets safe. I have life insurance (have had that for a few years now) and have just setup a retirement fund. :) I'm 24. Link here for will info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i am looking at getting life insurance and im 18..... thinking of doing a will but then reallised that the 500 euro i have wont go far....

i have a hobby that is a bit extreme... 60MPH into a tree dosent help so thats why ive been looking out for life insuance....

p.s anyone know a place that will do life incurance for extreame sports also health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for that Ruu, some interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i havent made a will yet (im 25), and wont for a good while yet. i own my own house and a car and they are all the possessions i have, no pension or life insurance either so maybe i should get my skates on.
    thanks op for posting this thread, u made me think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Conar

Interesting topic.
    My girlfriend, well fianceé actually, mentioned the other night that she doesn't want a religious funeral.
    Now I am and always have been and Atheist so this is fine by me, but her parents are VERY Catholic.
    Does this mean that she'll need to specify in a will that she doesn't want a religious funeral?
    The last thing I want is to be arguing with her parents over how she's going to be buried if, God forbid :D, something happened to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I dont own enough stuff to write a will :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Paper? A pen? A pencil will suffice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i made one just before my 31st birthday.
    pretty much everything goes to my god child, as i have no immediate family.
    i also left the mandatory €2,000 for my friends to celebrate my death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Conar wrote:
    Interesting topic.
    My girlfriend, well fianceé actually, mentioned the other night that she doesn't want a religious funeral.
    Now I am and always have been and Atheist so this is fine by me, but her parents are VERY Catholic.
    Does this mean that she'll need to specify in a will that she doesn't want a religious funeral?
    The last thing I want is to be arguing with her parents over how she's going to be buried if, God forbid :D, something happened to her.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/death/legal_issues_following_a_death/making_a_will.html

Her next of kin get her body if she dies, if she is married this is her spouse if she is not it is an adult child if there is no adult child then her parents are her next of kin.

Next of kin do not have honour the deceased persons wishes as to how they wanted to be buried.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/death/legal_issues_following_a_death/dealing_with_deceaseds_estate.html
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/death/legal_issues_following_a_death/deceaseds_estate.html

These issues as morbid as people think and it is nice to know that things are sorted if you do get hit by a bus. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Anyone who has children and is under the age of 30 would have made a will, unless they're complete idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

no assets means no point. ill do it 5 minutes after i die. that will really spook people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Conar

Anyone who has children and is under the age of 30 would have made a will, unless they're complete idiots

I always suspected I was a little dim but I never realised I was a complete idiot.
    Thanks for pointing that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I only have one fixed asset (a tracker bond thing) which has life insurance included, and at the moment my da is the beneficiary, but I think I'll be changing that soon. In the next job I have, I'll get my pension sorted out and then I guess I'll consider a will.
    I'm 23 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Question/Advice: Should you write your own or get a solicitor to do one for ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Colly wrote:
    Question/Advice: Should you write your own or get a solicitor to do one for ya?

solicitor i'd imagine would be the best route

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I've definatly not made a will. No point for me anyway - I own nothing of value. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

DaveMcG wrote:
    Paper? A pen? A pencil will suffice! :D
    Thanks for the help Dave... For that I bequeath you my pencil and paper if anything should happen to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

No, I'm definitely too young (17).
    When I do though, I plan to have a bit specifying that if any benificiary is responsible for my death (which includes pulling the plug on me) or puts me in a home, they get nothing.
    I have another idea which may be a laugh but I've yet to find of a haunted house in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No, I'm definitely too young (17).
    When I do though, I plan to have a bit specifying that if any benificiary is responsible for my death (which includes pulling the plug on me) or puts me in a home, they get nothing.
    I have another idea which may be a laugh but I've yet to find of a haunted house in Dublin.

Heh, some nice thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am only 32, a few months ago my life was normal, recently I was diagnosed with cancer and I am having to get all my affairs in order, sorry for being serious here but everyone should have a will. I am getting married soon also and want to make sure that he is looked after should the worst happen. There is some policy that my partner will only be covered under when we are married so I have to get that sorted now. Have some minor life insurance that I want to go to my fiancee and I have a lot of jewelry. I would like to get stuff like where I am buried, the funral songs, presents and letters for friends etc done now. Do not put it off and sorry for the serious post, I just had a conversation 2 hours ago about this with my brother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes. There are several online sites. Make sure the one you pick meets the legal requirements of the place you reside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Write a very long will, asking a lot of people to come along. At the end mention that you are leaving your will to them in your will. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm 20 and I haven't felt the need to write a will yet. I've very little worth writing a will over, a few financial investments/assets and thats probably it. Anything else I own I presume if I died my brother would get.

Maybe a few years down the line...

Advertisement