Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Impatient Are We?

Options
  • 23-11-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

So, 10 years ago when we moved back from South Africa my dad sold me the idea saying 'Ireland is much more laid back, no one's in a rush to do anything - it'll be a better quality of life'. So while the quality of life may have been better (aka. I haven't been hijacked, mugged or shot), his promise of Ireland running at a slower pace turned out to be a bit of a farce.

I will admit that 10 years ago it was grand, everyone tipped their hat to passing strangers and said howaya.. but since then people seem to have less and less time for anyone else. And along with that, the country's collective patience levels have nearly disappeared!

An easy one to point out is in driving ie. dangerous overtaking, using hard shoulders etc. But more and more I see people skipping queues in shops and pubs, people not willing to wait on an answer, not giving time to people struggling with shopping/directions and other such things.

Are we in a race? What be the prize for winning this race? A heart-attack?

Not really a rant, just trying to find out if we actually think we're impatient, and whether its actually seen as a bad thing. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Is this thread not finished yet?? Next!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It's all gone to ****e mate, and it's only going to get worse. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Move out of my way, thats my fookin bottle of wine. I saw it first! *runs through aisle with trolley* We are not winning anything only a quicker route to heaven, hell (13,666 posts when I wrote this one):eek: or whatever you believe in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm extremely laid back and have patience like no other tbh.

Probably the reason I still don't have a job...I'm waiting for it to come to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its the human race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

By-product of a modern society that expanded ecconomically too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Irish people are lazy and love doing nothing, so when we do have something to do we try and get it done as fast as possible so we can get back to doing nothing.

The Irish government do **** all, they haven't changed a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

People have become very impatient alright. Just something else we can blame on the Celtic Tiger :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Big city stress? Smaller is still slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Maybe if we'd called it the Celtic Kitten we might've turned out nicer.
    As for me though, I'm not impatient in the slightest. Lazy, you might even say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

why wont the page load quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

13 posts to this thread in 9 hours. How much slower can we get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I like to think I'm a laid-back, impatient fellow who's polite to strangers.. It's true to say things have changed alot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yeah I have to agree, we are definetly much more impatient as a society. I'm sure we could go indepth and explain alot of the factors that have caused it, but there'd be no point.

We simply are among other things.

Advertisement