Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying or Selling Tickets

Options
  • 23-11-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

You know when you're going to a match or whatever and you see these idiots shouting "Anyone buyin' or sellin' tickets" at everyone that walks past...

Do they think, that if they say - anyone sellin' tickets - that the Guards will say, ah sure he's looking for people selling tickets aswell, sure he couldn't be a tout!!

Do the Guards bother catching these lads or what's the story? They should start, just because of how annoying they are if nothing else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

rcs wrote:
    You know when you're going to a match or whatever and you see these idiots shouting "Anyone buyin' or sellin' tickets" at everyone that walks past...

Do they think, that if they say - anyone sellin' tickets - that the Guards will say, ah sure he's looking for people selling tickets aswell, sure he couldn't be a tout!!

Do the Guards bother catching these lads or what's the story? They should start, just because of how annoying they are if nothing else!

um....
    1) Ticket touting isnt illegal
    2) They actually *are* looking for people selling tickets too. If there are people selling tickets for €x, they will buy em and flog them on for €x+x/2

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Really? Always thought there was something shady about it.. it's just that anytime i've actually gone to these lads.. yeah i've a couple of spare tickets i'll sell ya.. they go umm, nah, im actually not buying any tickets..

Is touting illegal in any other countries?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    um....
    1) Ticket touting isnt illegal
    2) They actually *are* looking for people selling tickets too. If there are people selling tickets for €x, they will buy em and flog them on for €x+x/2

€x+x/2 = €x so not much of a mark up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kearnsr wrote:
    €x+x/2 = €x so not much of a mark up there!
    i assume he meant x+(x/2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Or as some feckers outside concerts right about the start of the gig charging €x+x^2.

Heartless bastids.

Sometimes if you wait though you can be lucky and get em for €x/3 or in very rare cases for free provided you are willing to forget about getting into the pit or seeing the support act!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Probably. I was just been a smart arse!

I've been to All Irelands with out a ticket and been luck to get tickets below face value just before throw in of the senior match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I despise these people, they're scum in my opinion.
    And they always have thick dublin accents and wearing a scangers track suit, makes it almost worse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

kearnsr wrote:
    Probably. I was just been a smart arse!

I've been to All Irelands with out a ticket and been luck to get tickets below face value just before throw in of the senior match.

I went to this years AI without a ticket but got one of Padraig Joyce, of all people, for face value.

Pity about the result though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Dan133269 wrote:
    And they always have thick dublin accents and wearing a scangers track suit, makes it almost worse :D

Like the guy the last time I was at the Point, directed me into car parking spot, told me to turn off my lights & pushed my wing mirror in (as if I couldnt do this myself!) then asked me for €5 to "look after" my car while I was inside.. then he goes.. "think of it this way.. if someone was to smash into your car & rob your radio.. it would cost you €400 to fix it.. sure what's €5?"

classy guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

rcs wrote:
    Like the guy the last time I was at the Point, directed me into car parking spot, told me to turn off my lights & pushed my wing mirror in (as if I couldnt do this myself!) then asked me for €5 to "look after" my car while I was inside.. then he goes.. "think of it this way.. if someone was to smash into your car & rob your radio.. it would cost you €400 to fix it.. sure what's €5?"

classy guys!
    Theres the old story of the Culchie and the inner city kid.
    Culchie comes up for a GAA match, and parks his car near croker, in the heart of knackeragua. A kid comes up and says "hey mistar, giz a fiver to protect your car, in case anyone tries to rob it or smash your windows"
    So the culchie, wise to this, brings the kid over to the car and points out his growling german shepard on the back seat that he's brought up to mind his car. Culchie laughs and starts to walk away.

Quick as a flash the kid goes "hey mistar, can that dog of yours put out fires?"
    The kid got his money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

x+x/2 is the same as x+(x/2).

PEMDAS people!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dan133269 wrote:
    I despise these people, they're scum in my opinion.
    Most do happen to be scumbags, but they are providing a service. Just like stockbrokers, buying and selling and making commission in between.

BUT this service should be undertaken by the venue, or ticketmaster, buying back tickets and selling them on again.

www.tickets.ie sell concert tickets for up to €7-8 below what ticketmaster charge, and they are obviously still making a decent profit.

ticketmaster refuse to take back any tickets. You can no longer buy and sell them here on boards either.

If I am stuck and have tickets to sell outside I usually go up to a bouncer, many people will come up to them asking if there are any left, you do not have touts giving you meanacing looks beside the bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    x+x/2 is the same as x+(x/2).

PEMDAS people!
    this is true but the first guy didn't seem to realise this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

OMG I F**kin hate toutings scumbag F**KERS!! Theres a gig in february I really really wanna go to, a band being with b, anyway its completely sold out

ticket face value: €30
    prices on ebay/buy&sell: €100+

Really pissed off because its 1 of my fav bands, but I refuse to give in to these ****.

Put a wanted ad in buy and sell so , saying you will collect. People who cannot go and do not want to rip people off will sell for face value.

this is true but the first guy didn't seem to realise this

No I didnt even though I should have

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This thread will no doubt be locked shortly.
    I hate ticket touts.
    Hopefully some strong legislation will be brought in shortly as is the case across the water.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2006/11/08/story284360.asp

kippy wrote:
    Hopefully some strong legislation will be brought in shortly as is the case across the water.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2006/11/08/story284360.asp
    Hopefully not!
    The clampdown across the Irish Sea comes into effect today and makes it illegal for newspapers, websites, and internet search engines to carry advertising for black-market match tickets
    If you are stuck with tickets to an event you cannot go to you are screwed, ticketmaster will not take them back. At the moment they actually advise you to do what they are making illegal there.

Stick a wanted ad in the papers. Many people are stuck with tickets at the very last minute for gigs. I have gotten lots of tickets at the last minute from ads I put in. People have been in town and mates not turned up, went into a newsagent and got my number from buy and sell.

If you are stuck with tickets to an event you cannot go to you are screwed, ticketmaster will not take them back. At the moment they actually advise you to do what they are making illegal there.

Stick a wanted ad in the papers. Many people are stuck with tickets at the very last minute for gigs. I have gotten lots of tickets at the last minute from ads I put in. People have been in town and mates not turned up, went into a newsagent and got my number from buy and sell.
    So you agree with the practice of a person buying the maximum number of tickets for a gig then selling them on a much more than FACE VALUE to other people?

I have no problem with Joe Soap selling a ticket at face value because of unforeseen circumstances however purposefully buying extra tickets with the intention of selling them for massive profit is in my opinion a disgrace.
    Irish people pay enough for tickets as it is.
    Perhaps the official ticket sellers may now be forced into taking back and refunding unwanted tickets.

Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

It may suck if you have to pay over the odds, but that's the free market for you. I'd really hate to get to the point where the authorities tell us that we don't have the right to sell items we bought legally.

• Advertisement

Authorities police many things that we do legally. They also have had and always will have an input into the sale of goods, all goods (the gorceries order, sale of parcetamol,) Anyway, I dont think they would tell you that you dont have the right to sell what you bought legally, they would tell you that you cannot sell event tickes for above face value.

As I said, A person who for no other reason but to make an outlandish profit on tickets, goes out and buys as many as he can only to see them all on at over face value prices is a disgrace.
    Now, you may not see the bigger picture here but I for one do.
    These guys go out and buy 6 tickets each, say 100 people do this for a big gig.
    600 tickets have no been taken off the face value market, meaning 600 people who may have gone to the event in the first place will not have to pay well over face value for them.....the touts themselves help create the demand for tickets and fuel their own market. Obviously supply will outstrip demand for many gigs, but as we seen with Glastonbury, which in my opinion was handled well regarding ticket sales, policing of ticket sales can be done.

This site as you may well know, before the recent problems with tickets, had a very strict anti touting policy.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

How is it a disgrace?

If you dont get a ticket for face value that's your problem if you then go onto to somewhere like ebay to buy a ticket well if your paying well over the odds then who is the bigger fool?

Oh and all you people saying you hate the way people sell stuff to make a profit if you have any tickets for Celtic in champions league and selling them at face value give me a shout.

I could only dream....

If you dont get a ticket for face value that's your problem if you then go onto to somewhere like ebay to buy a ticket well if your paying well over the odds then who is the bigger fool?
    If the tout is breaking a law, then he is the bigger fool and should be looked upon as such.
    Again, if the only reason he bought those tickets was to sell them on then in my opinion he/she is a disgrace. It is hard enough getting tickets for gigs without competing with touts for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I'm not sure about this but isn't the person who buys the ticket from a tout also breaking the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Kippy if a friend of mine doesnt go to a concert and gives me a ticket for example this happened when electric picnic was on. I got the ticket for €150 think face value was about €175 I stuck it in ebay and it sold for €370 so are you trying to tell me im breaking the law? And the person who was mad to go to the concert was also breaking the law? Rubbish to be honest.

Dont ticketmaster make a profit out of selling ticket's? Im sure if you were dying to go to a concert or football match you would be happy to pay over face value well not happy but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I only bought a LARGE SUMMER MUSIC EVENT ticket so I can sell it for more than it's worth when people start etting really desperate for tickets. Though i suppose if i like the lineup i'll sell it and buy a non-camping ticket.

EDIT: Oopsies forgot about the ban mentioning LARGE SUMMER MUSIC EVENT, though I lolled when I saw that this particular LARGE SUMMER MUSIC EVENT was in the swear word filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Kippy if a friend of mine doesnt go to a concert and gives me a ticket for example this happened when electric picnic was on. I got the ticket for €150 think face value was about €175 I stuck it in ebay and it sold for €370 so are you trying to tell me im breaking the law? And the person who was mad to go to the concert was also breaking the law?

Im not trying to tell you anything. I simply wanted to know if someone would be breaking the law by buying a ticket from a tout.

Just sheer curiosity. No offense to anyone intended.

kippy wrote:
    So you agree with the practice of a person buying the maximum number of tickets for a gig then selling them on a much more than FACE VALUE to other people?
    No, and I don't think I inferred in any way that I did...

thrill wrote:
    I simply wanted to know if someone would be breaking the law by buying a ticket from a tout.
    No, ticketmaster tell you to sell the ticket themselves as policy. Seems it may be a grey area in the UK.

People bought up those cheap USB sticks on viking, limited supply, and no doubt some are now selling them at above "face value", are these memory stick touts?

I am sure many toy shops will buy up whatever this christmas's toy is, again limited stock and selling on at a good profit.

Most of the "scumbag" touts on the street are just offering a service, they do not buy up tickets online or in shops. They rarely pay above face value for any ticket. They keep low quantities and do it all on the night. They go to whatever venue, pay as little as they can to people for a limited commodity, and then sell to others for as much as they can, just like stockbrokers do.

I have far more of a problem with the highly organised professional touts, like companies that buy up match or concert tickets, and then legally and seemingly "unscumbaggingly" tout them by offering planes and hotels in with the mix, while ripping you off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I always get this image of them all standing around in a circle buying and selling tickets to each other like trading cards or something..

Advertisement