Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nip/Tuck!

Options
  • 23-11-2006 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Firstly, I am a huge fan of Nip/Tuck. Never missed an episode, have all the boxsets, whatever!

So I've been waiting for the fourth season to air in Ireland and read some rumours that it would air on Sky One near the end of November. Possibly next week?

But I was absolutely shocked the other night when I was flicking through channels I somehow ended up on TG4 and what do I see but Episode 1 of Season 4 Nip/Tuck! I'm just shocked because it's a Fox show and the guy who owns the Fox corporation owns Sky so surely they'd want to show it there first??

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

TG4 has always gotten it before Sky.

I just wish TG4 would do a better job of publicising it's acquisitions I don't turn over onto the channel nearly enough.

Personally I think Nip / Tuck is an atrocious show but I find it hugely compelling for some reason and never miss an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

because it's a Fox show and the guy who owns the Fox corporation owns Sky so surely they'd want to show it there first??
    Rupert Murdoch's family own about 30% of News Corp, News Corp owns 37% of BSkyB. News Corp owns 100% of Fox Entertainment.

Hence the Murdochs own only 30% of the 37% (about 11%) so while they're closely tied, it wouldn't be fair to say that "the guy who owns the Fox corporation owns Sky". As a matter of fact, apparently John Malone of Liberty Media currently owns more of News Corp than Murdoch.

TG4 have shown a number of high-profile shows before Sky for three reasons: terrestrial rights are sold separately to satellite rights, Irish rights can be sold separately to UK rights and usually are and TG4 theoretically has a very small viewership given the reasonable proportion of its programming in the irish language and hence it costs them less than RTE to buy the rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Any thoughts??

whats to think about? TG4 bought the right to show it in the Republic of Ireland. end of story really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

TG4 has always gotten it before Sky.

No they didn't. They have been playing catch up for a while but this year is the first year they started first. I had been watching on sky and always managed to see any episodes I missed when it aired on TG4 a few months later. Actually I think they had shown most of the second series on sky before TG4 picked it up for season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

have watched the first two episodes now and theres a strong gay theme,but i like the scientology twist thats coming into to the plot loks interesting, anything that keeps kimberly in the plot can only be good mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sweetie wrote:
    No they didn't. They have been playing catch up for a while but this year is the first year they started first. I had been watching on sky and always managed to see any episodes I missed when it aired on TG4 a few months later. Actually I think they had shown most of the second series on sky before TG4 picked it up for season 1.

i always thought it was the otgher way around myself

TG4 first, Sky One second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

When are the new episodes on TG4? What day/time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 daithilocha

i know its comming but does anyone know when in eire and uk.. statring 30october in US.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭fta keith

FX has the rights to niptuck not sky one from now on as tg4 will be the best place to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TG4 theoretically has a very small viewership given the reasonable proportion of its programming in the irish language and hence it costs them less than RTE to buy the rights.

I don't think that the owners of Nip/Tuck care weather TG4 have less veiwers then RTE or TV3.

TG4 has the same reach as both channels, the only difference is that TG4 don't buy in as many hours as RTE or TV3. TG4 spend 3.5million on their aquistions and competes with RTE, TV3, C6 and even Living, Sky and channel 4 who are starting to compete with the Irish Channels for RoI rights.

I assumed that TG4 was ahead of Sky One also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Spoiler for new season
    Katee Sackhoff's upcoming four-episode stint on Nip/Tuck is undergoing what you might call an extreme makeover.

Sources confirm to me exclusively Rose McGowan has replaced Sackhoff in the role of Theodora "Teddy" Lowe, a doctor and potential love interest for Sean (Dylan Walsh).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

When is this back? Here or in the states??

Advertisement