Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young's finest albums ?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Calling all Neil Young fans....

What are your favourite albums from his back catalogue ?
    Here's my Top 10:

1. Rust never sleeps
    2. Everybody knows this is nowhere
    3. Tonight's the night
    4. Harvest
    5. On the Beach
    6. After the Goldrush
    7. Zuma
    8. Ragged Glory
    9. Reactor
    10. Freedom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Great Thread.....Heres mine....

1. Harvest
    2. After the Goldrush
    3. Everybody knows this is nowhere
    4. Ragged Glory
    5. Freedom
    6. Neil Young
    7. Mirror Ball
    8. Greendale
    9. Reactor
    10. Living with War

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Easy!!!

1. Weld
    2. Weld
    3. Weld
    4. Weld
    5. Weld
    6. Weld
    7. Weld
    8. Weld
    9. Weld
    10. Weld

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

s8n wrote:
    Great Thread.....Heres mine....

1. Harvest
    2. After the Goldrush
    3. Everybody knows this is nowhere
    4. Ragged Glory
    5. Freedom
    6. Neil Young
    7. Mirror Ball
    8. Greendale
    9. Reactor
    10. Living with War

Have'nt had a chance to buy Living with War yet.
    Is it a return to form ?

I was'nt overly impressed with Prairie Wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

of the ones I've heard:

1 On the beach
    2 After the goldrush
    3 Harvest
    4 Tonights the Night
    5 Sleeps with angels
    6 Rust never sleeps
    7 Harvest Moon
    8 Zuma

I've also heard Mirrorball and Greendale but wasn't impressed with either of them. Decade is also great, obviously.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Are You Passionate is my favourite album of his. Alot of his old stuff is quite similar. I'm not doubuting the quality but i find myself trying to find something new and with Are You Passionate and his newer albums i like what i hear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

1. On The Beach - I've said this many times - the album is an opus, it is the most complete in itself, and has some of his most beautiful songs. Also the musicians that play on it are fairly unique to that album. Eg Levon Helm, the drummer from The Band, plays on several of the tracks and he has a very unique drumming style. Rusty Kershaw plays fiddle on several of the tracks and it is simply amazing. For a long time it never got a cd release (because Neil is a bit crazy) so it was overlooked for a long time by less fanatic Young fans.

2. Trans - yes I know - odd choice. A lot of people HATE this electronic/rock/vocoder album. But I love it. Sample and Hold is one of Neil's best songs, its a shame he didn't pursue this direction further.

3. Tonight's The Night - the 2nd best album from the "ditch trilogy" - its darker than On The Beach, but has a lot of really stand out tracks.

4. Harvest - the most commercially successful album - I love it. Production values through the roof, but some of Neil's most beautiful / vunerable songs.

5. Neil Young - debut solo album - still finding his voice - it is excellent though - especially for those of us who love that early Neil sound.

6. Rust Never Sleeps - one side acoustic, one side grunge (cds don't have sides - I know) - I rate it much higher than Zuma, which has a similar-ish sound from that era. Probably the last great studio album before he started changing direction in a very random way (to mixed success).

7. Sleeps With Angels - an utterly amazing album. I'd say its the last great Neil Young and Crazy Horse album. Inspired by Kurt Cobain's death. It is very different from most other Crazy Horse albums, has a very solemn, wake-ish feeling to it. (apart from Piece of Crap).

8. After The Goldrush - a lot of people's favourite - great album - although there are a few throwaway tracks, and to be honest I tire of hearing ATGR at Neil concerts, and better versions of Southern Man appear on several bootlegs (with dueling guitar solos with Stephen Stills).

9. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere - the first foray with Crazy Horse - in its original form - before Danny Whitten died. Cowgirl/ Down By The River / Cinnamon Girl are all true classics, although I could easily skip Requiem For The Rockets.

10. Freedom - return to commercial form after a decade or so in the (commercial) wilderness (ah Geffen). Obviously Rockin' In the Free World is a classic - and an electric and acoustic version bookend the record (like Hey Hey, My My in Rust Never Sleeps). However, the stand out track for me is Crime in The City (Sixty to Zero Pt1) - I wish to **** he would release the full version of that song. Very good, very electric album.

I just kinda threw this list together ad-hoc - I have a lot of time for Greendale, Prairie Wind and most of his other albums. Time Fades Away would've made it to the above list, except the production values are soooo low, it can be hard to listen to it at times. Obviously the album RE*AC*TOR also holds a special place in my heart too :D

However, I generally find the lesser albums to be:

1. Everybody's Rockin' - utter heap of ****. He released this to spite Geffen Records who at the time were suing him because he was releasing non-typical music (Trans and Landing on Water). They said they wanted Rock & Roll - so he literally recorded an album of 50s type R&R. Its a shame - cause one track especially - Wonderin' deserved soooo much more. Thankfully with last weeks release of NY&CH at Fillmore East - we have a decent version of that excellent song.

2. Are You Passionate - I saw Neil &CH on tour before the release of this - they played some of the songs and some other songs which didn't make it to the album - only Goin' Home stands out on this album for me, otherwise I find it maudlin and somewhat saccharin.

3. Living With War - some very good songs, but the song, Impeach The President is just too hamfisted. Turns me off.

4. This Notes For You - some good songs again, but the "power swing" treatment everything gets is grating, a bit like Everybody's Rockin' in that sense.

5. Broken Arrow - total throwaway album, mundane, a big dip in form after Freedom-Ragged Glory- Harvest Moon-Sleeps With Angels-Mirror Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    6. Rust Never Sleeps - one side acoustic, one side grunge (cds don't have sides - I know) - I rate it much higher than Zuma, which has a similar-ish sound from that era. Probably the last great studio album before he started changing direction in a very random way (to mixed success).

Is Rust Never Sleeps not a live album? I thought they edited out the crowd noise.

Mine would be:
    1. Harvest
    2. After the Goldrush
    3. Dead Man soundtrack: Not many people mention this but it's a stunning piece of work (especially in the context of the movie). The instrumentals hit harder than many of his normal songs, very atmospheric and captivating. I highly recommend both this CD and the movie.
    4. Weld
    5. On the Beach
    6. Rust Never Sleeps
    7. Harvest Moon
    8. Greendale: The album is quite underrated in my opinion. I think it's a damn fine collection but I think the acoustic version from Vicar St (which I was lucky enough to be at) that came on DVD with the album is a much better version of the album.
    9. Mirror Ball: It's fairly standard rocking but done very, very well. "I'm the Ocean" is one of my favourite Neil Young songs, just amazing.
    10. Arc: Just for the sheer hell of it!

Yeah - it was part live - there were overdubs added later in the studio, its not what you traditionally call a live album though. Although albums like Ragged Glory were recorded Live in the Studio - if you know what I mean - one take kinda music.

The Dead Man soundtrack is pretty enough, but is just an ambience piece, no way would I put it near his top ten.

I agree with you on Greendale, its a fine album - certainly his best since Silver and Gold, but again I think some of his other stuff is just stronger - I was also saw him perform it in Vicar Street - stunning show (but I still prefer NY&CH in the point - for the sheer **** yeah! quality of it).

Arc is terrible, but I guess if a noise collage is your thing then go for it - you should listen to Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 studio_one

1. Comes a Time, for me.. many happy mellow memories

2. Time Fades Away... this album is why I can't quit smoking,
    everytime I hear the first few bars of Time Fades Away, I reach
    for the cigs and a beer/whiskey!!

3. Hawkes & Doves... some of the finest acoustic playing I've ever heard
    the latter part of the album does loose it's way a bit

4. Mirror Ball... love the energy

5. On The Beach, once you hit play, your committed to listen
    to the whole lot!

6. Freedom... rockin yet crafted brilliantly

7. Tonight's the Night,,, same as Time fades... reach for my smokes and
    bottle o jack!

8. Zuma, was in a band in NYC, we called it Zuma!.. plus
    I've surfed on Zuma Beach :-P

9. American Stars n Bars.. turn the lights down low for this one!

10. by no means "bottom of my list" Greendale is brilliant, I hope
    I can still be as relevant and focused when I get to that age....
    but hey, the man is forever young!

what to other Neil fans think of setting up an appreciation society??
    rent out a function room,,, big PA.. and talk Neil stuff

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Yeah - it was part live - there were overdubs added later in the studio, its not what you traditionally call a live album though. Although albums like Ragged Glory were recorded Live in the Studio - if you know what I mean - one take kinda music.

Ah right, I didn't know that.
    The Dead Man soundtrack is pretty enough, but is just an ambience piece, no way would I put it near his top ten.

Have you seen the movie? There's a few bits of music (IIRC) that aren't on the CD.
    I agree with you on Greendale, its a fine album - certainly his best since Silver and Gold, but again I think some of his other stuff is just stronger - I was also saw him perform it in Vicar Street - stunning show (but I still prefer NY&CH in the point - for the sheer **** yeah! quality of it).

The Point gig was savage too but that night in Vicar St was just too perfect for words.
    Arc is terrible, but I guess if a noise collage is your thing then go for it - you should listen to Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music.

My Arc is your Trans :)

And I've already got Metal Machine Music, it's no Merzbow

• Advertisement

Speaking of Neil Young soundtrack music - he did most of the soundtrack to an early 80s movie called Where The Buffalo Roam - which was a Hunter S Thompson movie - with Bill Murray as Thompson. There's some very good stuff on that. Although the movie is fairly ****.

I watched some of Dead Man, but found it dull and gave up. The kind of music on it, is the kind of stuff Neil could do sitting on the toilet.

He just might have done that but I find I do my best work on the toilet so it might be the same for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

1 - On the beach - why he never released this years i'll never understand
    2 - Harvest - just because of needle and the damage done
    3- Tonight's The Night - very dark record, alot of emtion on it
    4 - Rust Never Sleeps - one of neil's best album lyrically-wise
    5 - After the goldrush - beautiful put together
    6 - everybody knows this is nowhere lalalalalalala
    7- freedom - crime in the city stands out definitely
    8 - comes a times - classic album
    9- greendale - one of the best concept albums ever
    10- neil young - gotta start somewhere

have to say there's alot of neil youn albums i still have to get zuma being one of them! Plus harvest moon isn't on the list because i cant stand how polished the album is

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Alright! Cool topic.

Of the albums that I own (which is most of them), I have to say that I enjoy every single one of them. There are some that I haven't botherd to buy due to overriding bad reviews (eg: Everybody's Rocking and Arc). And maybe you can accuse me of not being fan enough, but unless it's on CD I haven't yet heard it which does mean that the likes of On The Beach are as new to me as Greendale (they came out about the same time didn't they?)

But of the 26 that I do own, I would go for the following as my top ten:

1. Rust Never Sleeps - without a doubt number one on the list, and very probably my favourite album of all time. Not a bad song there, but Thrasher is my favourite.

2. Harvest Moon - better songs than Harvest, again all truly great songs.

3. Freedom - just a great rocking album.

4. Zuma - all great, but Cortez is a fav.

5. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

6. Old Ways - am I the first to nominate this? It's Country, and I'm not normally into Country songs, but I have to say this album is just full of fun, great Country songs.

7. Harvest - the first album that I bought. Opening track (Out On The Weekend) is the favourite there. Heart of Gold is overplayed though.

8. Comes A Time

9. Greendale - didn't like it at all at first, but it's really grown on me. I was in Vicar Street too, and found it a bit difficult to enjoy the first half of songs that I didn't know. The Point was a better concert, though I didn't know him so well back then and would love to see him again now that I know him better.

10. Silver And Gold - actually hard to choose a tenth, so we'll stick that in for something to complete the list.

And I didn't include On The Beach or After The Goldrush. Not that I don't like them (I do, very much), but I guess I'm just contrary :)

Before I was a fan, I tried to watch Dead Man, and turned off within twenty minutes. What a weird film!!! Maybe I should give it another chance, if only for the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What, no Landing on Water? Just becuase it's over for you, don't mean it's over for me....

Very hard to pick a top 10, but Harvest, After the Goldrush, Rust Never Sleeps, Weld, On the Beach and Freedom are the stand-outs for me. And Landing on Water of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

1 - Time Fades Away
    2 - On The Beach
    3 - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    4 - Tonight's The Night
    5 - Trans
    6 - Rust Never Sleeps
    7 - Ragged Glory
    8 - After The Goldrush
    9 - Sleeps With Angels
    10 - Harvest Moon

worst

Everybody's Rockin'
    Life
    Journey Through The Past

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

i liked everybody's rockin.
    it's fun rocknroll. love that it was on geffen, that cracks me up

freedom isn't very good

after the goldrush, comes a time, harvest, tonight's the night, greendale, prairie wind are my favourites. silver and gold is underrated but very powerful stuff. it has some of neil's best stuff since after the goldrush, which is probably one of my top 5 albums of all time ever.

harvest moon got played once before i smashed the CD in rage. what a waste of time and money.

i love neil young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

I honestly couldn't choose. It just shows you how special an artist this guy is that everyone's lists are so starkly different.

He's the only artist I know I'll never ever tire of listening to.

ThatBloke wrote:
    I honestly couldn't choose. It just shows you how special an artist this guy is that everyone's lists are so starkly different.

Yeah, there's a few albums where I've been thinking "Wow, I never even considered that one" and some ommissions that surprised me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Surprised no-one's even mentioned Live Rust, probably the album that got me into Neil Young single-handed.

deaddonkey, Freedom IS very good. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement