Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma?

Options
  • 21-11-2006 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Yo! Disclaimer: I'm not looking for medical advice!:D

Ok, it all started a couple of years ago, i stayed with my girlfriend in her house a few times over the summer. I always stayed in their front room(unused one of 2).

Anyway, it must have been really dusty or something, cos whenever i was there and only there, i had some kind of attack(asthma?) where by i had shortness of breath, difficulty breathing etc, it was actually quite scary the first time. My then girlfriend had bad asthma and said what i was having was exactly like an asthma attack, she'd let me use her inhaler and i was fine within minutes. Anyway, as i said i thought it was just dust or something as it was an old unused room.

But in the last couple of weeks i'm feeling the same as i was then, i'm getting shortness of breathe and 'weezyness' in my throat. I wouldn't really mind but i speak on the phone for work and with the shortened breath and weezyness etc means sometimes i just can't help but cough, pain in the a$$!!!

Anyway, don't really know what the main question is, but, would it be a common occurence to develop what may be asthma later on in life? why would that be? :confused:

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Head down to the GP for some advice, I'd say. My young son has asthma and the key thing the doc told me was that if he did not take his "preventer" inhaler then a thing called "airway remapping" takes place where your lungs try to adjust to the asthma. The more of this that happens to your lungs the harder it is to recover so IMHO you should take whatever medicine the doc tells you. If you're like my son then many visits to the doc may be called for to get the right medicine at the right levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I've got a similar "condition". It doesnt sound like asthma,more like allergic reactions. I get quite wheezy when I'm around dust, dog/cat hairs and sometimes when I run in cold weather. It started when I was about 10 and its eased off a bit now (I'm 20).

I'd say that the best thing to do is to go to the GP and talk to him. He'll give you 2 inhalers (brown for preventitive and blue for cure). It sounds like you've got nothing to worry about, taking the inhaler should clear it up whenever you get wheezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

I won't offer any definitive medical advice but I can tell you that asthma can develop in later life. I developed asthma at the ripe old age of 14, apparently it can lie dormant until triggered by such things as stress/allergies/dust etc etc...

Not to panic you though, the inhaler you more than likely took is Ventolin/Salbutamol which is designed primarily to relax the muscles in your lungs, so if you took it even without having asthma in theory you would still get the benefit of the muscles in your lungs being relaxed.

Best advice is to pop down to the doctor and also to get an allergy check, if you have got asthma more than likely it's been triggered by something you're allergic to. Best to avoid :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

LundiMardi wrote:
    would it be a common occurence to develop what may be asthma later on in life?

Yes, it can happen.
    why would that be?

That is a medical question and one that should be answered by your doctor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You need to see your GP! It could be any number of things, related or unrelated to your staying with your g/f. There are things like mold infections, TB (different types), and whatnot, that you could have been exposed to. Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

thanks for the replies guys:)

We have a doctor in work giving flu jabs so i thought i'd take advantage of the situation.

I pretty much told him i've been quite 'weazy' and short of breath for the last couple of weeks, he ''hmmm'd'' and after 2 or 3 seconds wrote a prescription for 'Deltamotial'? can't read his writing.

good result huh? :rolleyes:

Advertisement