Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sisters alcohol problem

Options
  • 21-11-2006 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

so, sister has a serous alcohol problem. We've been to counsellors etc, basically anything going, AA doesnt make any difference, finds it no help.

She basically wants to give up(i'm pretty sure), but cant, she cant even go anywhere on her own as she'l def come back with nagin or bottle of some spirit and drink it that night. Doesnt care about driving drunk or anything. She just doesnt have the strenght to resist the temptation when the craving comes over her.

Always drank a bit much over the years, nothing too serious though but in the last yr shes gone off the rails completely as a relationship broke up. She has self esteem/anxiety problems.

I supopose treatment centre is only thing left.

I'm not looking for advice on Alnon/AA etc or to hear that she has to want to give up etc, parents and I at end of our tether.

What I specifically want to hear is people who've had similar experiences and if theres any hope with treatment centres, i know very little about them and nothing so far has worked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'All I can say is hang in there, sounds very sad, no experience of it myself but these things take time.

There was a doc about alcoholism on BBC2 last night, followed 4 people over a yr, 2 middle aged people and 2 young. 1 young woman who'd lost a child died, the young guy is recovering The older woman kept drinking and the older man had been off for 10yrs but the previous liver damage caught up with him.
    But they drank very very hard, the young guy was 29/30 and had family helping him, they said that people with family get a head start on recovery over everyone else so your support means a lot to her.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Theres a drug out called Anta-Buse i believe, friend of mine was on it, when he did get a craving he went to drink some booze, he got as far as a sip and felt wretched.

http://healthyplace.com/medications/disulfiram.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

similar situation with my brother a few years ago...cun mhuire is a substance abuse centre in kildare..he spent eight months there, it is tough but it seemed to help him toss some of his more distructive habits...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Theres also the Rutland Centre as well isnt there?

Its in Dublin, near Templeogue i think'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I know what you're going through, it's so hard watching someone you care about destroy themselves with alcohol. My mam died of alcohol poisoning a few years ago and it runs throughout my family.

St. Patricks hosptial have a six week drying out programme. It's in a ward called 'Laracor'. My dad is also an alcoholic but stopped drinking for over a year after a stay in there. He's back on the bottle now but that's a different story! There number is 2493200.

There's aslo a place called Stanhope Street Centre but that's support for family members or friends affected bysomebodys drinking. Pm me if you want to talk or anything.

I wish you and your sister the best of luck, I know just how tough and disheartening it can be. It's a really selfish disease and alcoholics tend to become quite untrustworthy and sneaky. Stay strong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement