Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ulcerative colitis

Options
  • 21-11-2006 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

As a pretty young sufferer of UC I feel that my disease has taken a lot of things away which I liked doing e.g playing basketball and hanging out with friends.What really brings me down is that I basically lost two years of my life to this illness.I was just wondering to anyone who has my condition have they tried this new trial drug called remicade.If so does it work better than the more tradtional drugs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I was just wondering to anyone who has my condition have they tried this new trial drug called remicade.If so does it work better than the more tradtional drugs.

Heres some information on Remicade, you may like to read
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remicade

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I'd just like to point out that information about pharmaceuticals on wikipedia can be helpful but are not guaranteed to be correct. A medical professional who has perscribed/utilised the drug would be a better source of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Also note that this is not a medical advice board, although of course if someone has tried that particular drug they can share their experiences. The mods have final say.

I studied some Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis in pre-med.
    Hope things work out for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You'd be a lot better off asking in the Long Term Illnesses Forum, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have a lot of sympathy for people who suffer from digestive disorders as I'm a coeliac myself. I'm willing for people to share their experiences, but I am writing a big warning here.

What is said on that Wikipedia link is not medical advice, as is anything said on this board. Tread carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

As a pretty young sufferer of UC I feel that my disease has taken a lot of things away which I liked doing e.g playing basketball and hanging out with friends.What really brings me down is that I basically lost two years of my life to this illness.I was just wondering to anyone who has my condition have they tried this new trial drug called remicade.If so does it work better than the more tradtional drugs.

Hi FranchisePlayer,

I had UC but had my bowel removed so it's not a problem anymore (and have no regrets, I have my life back!!). I was offered Remicad, also known as Infliximab. It is not a trial drug, it is approved. Although I decided not to take it after reading about the side effects, read the small print at the bottom of this page: http://www.remicade.com/global/index.jsp.

There is a new drug called TSO that you might want to look up. In the trials it was a success for 50% of Ulcerative Colitis patients and 75% of Chron's patients. <snip - I'm not comfortable with self-medication and the purchase of medication over the internet - dudara> I'd advice you to gather some information on it and then ask your doctor if he thinks you should try it. Google TSO and Joel Weinstock (the doctor who "discovered" it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Thanks everyone for the info.Helter skelter my doctor wants me to have the same operation just wondering did you get yours reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Thanks everyone for the info.Helter skelter my doctor wants me to have the same operation just wondering did you get yours reversed.
    Check your PM's!

Advertisement