Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have DVD player need speakers

• 21-11-2006 2:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just to get things started!

If you have a dvd player which can output Dolby Digital and DTS what kind of speakers would you need for a decent surround sound setup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kearnsr wrote:
    Just to get things started!

If you have a dvd player which can output Dolby Digital and DTS what kind of speakers would you need for a decent surround sound setup?

First off you need an amplifier and or a decoder to decode and amplify the digital sound track.

These are as broad as your budget - there is one in every price bracket €300 - €30000.

Then there are speakers. Big ones and small ones, likewise for every budget.

Home Theatre in a box combines all these into a nice package, but generally audiophiles prefer seperates.

L.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So even though it outputs in digital it needs to be decoded?

What would you suggest for around €350 for a small living room?

kearnsr wrote:
    So even though it outputs in digital it needs to be decoded?

What would you suggest for around €350 for a small living room?

Yeah, the optical signal contains all 6 channels of audio that need to be seperated out to each speaker.

for €350 including speakers the yamaha AV packages at least have a reasonable amp with component switching.

I would think that you could upgrade to "proper" speakers quite handily from the little ones at a later date.

I believe Peats have these in stock, as should the other stores like HN, DID, Powercity etc.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You will get a better sound all round and better expandablity with an amp matched together with a set of speakers and a subwoofer.

I myself got a Pioneer HC amp around a year ago and got a set of Yamaha satellite speakers and a yamaha subwoofer.
    Sound is loud and the Pioneer amp has the punch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sparky-s wrote:
    You will get a better sound all round and better expandablity with an amp matched together with a set of speakers and a subwoofer.

Does the quality of the sound depend on the dvd player as well or is more to do with the quailty of amp/speakers? I have a no name dvd recorder and an xbox 360 both of which have digital out.

Was looking at a few all one systems and only one stood out which was a samsung 2.1 with hdmi with says it has surround sound. So just really looking for different options.

Sparky congrats on the new forum

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote:
    Does the quality of the sound depend on the dvd player as well or is more to do with the quailty of amp/speakers?

It is like a chain, it is only as good as its weakest link.

A high end amp connected to a budget cd player and budget speakers - you tell me the result.

What you want to aim for is matched components.

I.e. a dvd player with good signal decoding, a reasonable amp that can amplify the sound and video signals without distorting them, and a set of speakers that are not too weak and not too strong for the amp that you have.

Once you get a "decent" amp, something that is capable of driving "proper" speakers, and not just low resistance small ones, then you are in a better position to upgrade different components as required.

Second hand is a good way to go too if you want to get more spec for less cash.

What components would you be in the market for?

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

My understanding is that the sound is digitized when coming from the DVD player, so it doesn't take up any interference like a normal signal would, but again does depend on how good the actual pickup the dvd player has of the AC-3 info.

I didn't notice a difference in sound from the playstation digital out from my current samsung dvd player!

The amp is the workhorse of the system in that it takes the sound and decodes it and sends it to each relevant speaker.

An example I can give in how important the amp and speakers is. One time I happened to be asked to install speakers for an alba surround sound dvd setup.
    Upon completing the install, when testing the system, I noticed on low volume you could hear slight white noise from each speaker. Also to add to the fact that the sound was tinny and that's even with the subwoofer on full.
    The person got the whole system in argos at the time for €110.

That said, there is some very decent all in one systems out there that would give a separates system a run for it's money.
    All in ones are simple in respect that you connect your speakers to the dvd and your sub and away you go. Most all in ones come with a radio, as do most HC amps. Add to the fact that most if not all decent ones with have either an optical or coaxial digital out for use on your external receiver/amp.

How much are you looking to spend? If you have the XBOX 360 and you want something simple I seen this:
    Considering it has two HDMI inputs and one output!
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/263268/art/sony/home-cinema-6-1-hdmi-ht-d.html

Cheers for the complements on the forum. It has been an idea in the pipeline for a long time by Vexorg. There is yet more in store once the place kicks off.

Sparky-s wrote:

How much are you looking to spend? If you have the XBOX 360 and you want something simple I seen this:
    Considering it has two HDMI inputs and one output!
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/263268/art/sony/home-cinema-6-1-hdmi-ht-d.html

Something like that would be ideal. I've a budget of approx €400 and maybe be able to push it to €500. Really depends on what tv I get.
    Sparky-s wrote:

Cheers for the complements on the forum. It has been an idea in the pipeline for a long time by Vexorg. There is yet more in store once the place kicks off.

No bother!

What else do you have in store? I notice the name changed. Cant remember what it changed from but the new name suits it better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Sparky-s wrote:
    My understanding is that the sound is digitized when coming from the DVD player, so it doesn't take up any interference like a normal signal would, but again does depend on how good the actual pickup the dvd player has of the AC-3 info.

I didn't notice a difference in sound from the playstation digital out from my current samsung dvd player!

if you go digital out from a cd player, dvd player, playstation xbox whatever you like it doesn't matter, they are reading the digital track straight off the media..there is no good or bad, it reads all of it or none..it's reading 1's and zeros, so unless the disc is scratched and it can't get any data from it, it gets all of it.

you should never hear a difference between the digital outs on any player hooked up to the same amps or speakers...

mossym wrote:
    you should never hear a difference between the digital outs on any player hooked up to the same amps or speakers...

So as long as you have digital out your flying?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

so long as you have digital it comes down to the dacs in your amplifier. that's all..in fact if the dacs in your cd player are better than your receiver you may want to use the dacsin your cd player and just use the power stage of your receiver

my point was that the digital stream from a dvd or cd out of any player shoud be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

I'd go for the Yamaha all in one package mentioned by Nereid above. M8 just bought this and it's pretty damm good for the money. I have the Canton CD101, a bit more money but an outstanding setup. Check the back of your DVD player for an optical connection also. Dont be fooled by Watts and Design alone!!

nereid wrote:
    for €350 including speakers the yamaha AV packages at least have a reasonable amp with component switching.

I've found the AV59 package for €350. Most other places are €400.

Then I saw this for €317 (prob €350 with p&p).

Which one would people go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

mossym wrote:
    so long as you have digital it comes down to the dacs in your amplifier. that's all..
    that's a tad simplistic. Yes it is all 1s and 0s but as well as the DAC (and they differ wildly too) there's stabilty, the quality of the lens, error correction, isolation, mains quality... you can buy CD players for €100 or €30,000... and there is a differnece between them!

Got the AV 59 set in the end. Its more than enough for my needs

kearnsr wrote:
    Got the AV 59 set in the end. Its more than enough for my needs

Nice one. Ordered off the interweb or from a shop?

L.

nereid wrote:
    Nice one. Ordered off the interweb or from a shop?

L.

I got it in Power City. Peats have it for €400 and coudnt actually fint it on the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I seen it in Power City too my self, I was tempted to replace my Muck - samsung system. Was €349 In Power City.

Hj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

What is the sound like out of them yamaha's actually ? ?

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    What is the sound like out of them yamaha's actually ? ?

Hj

I havent set it up yet. Moving into a new place soon so keeping in the box till then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I have a full setup, but the speakers I'm using are old hi-fi speakers. I'm looking now to "upgrade" the speakers and buy some decent ones.

I have a quality amp - Sony STR-DA7100ES, so that does all the processing of audio. All my sources are connected with either coaxial or digital cables.

So, can anyone recommend some quality speakers? My budget is around €1,000. I'm looking for a 7.1 setup (I have a sub already) so just need 7 speakers.

Thanks.

Paulw wrote:
    I have a full setup, but the speakers I'm using are old hi-fi speakers.

What type are they? Most "old" HiFi speakers are fine for cinema use... it's not as though you're looking for fine detail, imagry or soundstage as you would with music. I use an old pair of Tannoy 607's as fronts and they're perfect for that job.

I have 5 speakers from a Sony Hi-fi set (Sony MHC-ZX70 system). They're fine speakers for what I use them for, but considering the amp I have is much higher quality, I know that with better speakers I can get higher definition sound. Of course I'm not going to notice a major difference, but I should be able to hear some difference.

The rear speakers I'm using are from a Creative PC setup. Again, fine basic speakers.

But, I'm looking for more quality from my system now.

Paulw wrote:
    I have 5 speakers from a Sony Hi-fi set (Sony MHC-ZX70 system). ...... The rear speakers I'm using are from a Creative PC setup.
    Ah ok.... I thought you were talking real HiFi. :D
    Consider second hand stuff or look at Richer Sounds packages http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&Sub=100 With those packages you will get what you pay for i.e. the dearest is the best and so on down.
    www.peats.ie is worth a look too, their JBL stuff is good value but stay away from the BOSE crap.

LOL, nah, the speakers I have are ok. Not quality hi-fi.

I've been in touch with RicherSounds, and look like I'll be ordering some new speakers from there -
    Monitor Audio RS range
    RS6 floor standing
    RSLCR centre speaker
    RSFX surround sides.

Not a bad combination, I think.

Any comments?

I'm not a huge fan of Monitor Audio but they'll do the job and I'm a tad geeky when it comes to these things.

I mentioned it in another thread but Lryic Hifi in Belfast (on the edge, an easy drive from Dublin) has second hand trade ins, prices are sterling so add 50% for an idea of € prices. The Loewe stuff is particularly sexy stuff... see http://www.lyrichifi.com/specials.htm

Well, I bought the Monitor Audio speakers. I have them a few days now and I am really impressed by the quality of sound.

I'd certainly recommend them to anyone interested. Great sound - sharp, clear and very crisp.

Paulw wrote:
    Great sound - sharp, clear and very crisp.
    Can I just say that "sharp" and "very crisp" are not good things in a speaker. Not at all. However speakers take a while to "run in" and they'll soften out a bit with 30 - 50 hours of play on them. If you can leave them playing (cd on repeat or a radio) while you go off to work you should, something with plenty of bass to get the cones moving.

I've had them running now for almost 3 full days, and they sound so much better than out of the box.

They are a total change from the other speakers I had and I'm finding new things in the music and films I listen to.

I know they'll take a little more time to warm up but I am already impressed.
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement