Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookeries in Castles

Options
  • 21-11-2006 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading Jane Eyre, which mentions a big house that has a rookery. I've read other things that mentions these old places having rookeries.
    What did they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Eh, a rookery is just a group of rooks' nests. The rook is the most common crow species in the British Isles. In Ireland, we usually just call them "crows".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I know what rooks are, and that rooks nest in rookeries, but the books I have read make it sound like a purposeful building, like they tried to attract the rooks. I want to know what they wanted them for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Dunno but wiki says this:
    A rookery may also be a place where marine mammals such as the seal, sea lion, and walrus breed, give birth,and nurse their young, such as a beach or similar location.

sorry cant be of more help are you sure they mean birds??

InFront wrote:
    sorry cant be of more help are you sure they mean birds??
    I checked Wiki, nothing. The rookeries mentioned are on the roof, a position uncomfortable for seals, sea lions and walruses.
    Thanks though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lord Suave

Perhaps the rookery is intended to serve no actual purpose and is just another form of folly ?

• Advertisement

Lord Suave wrote:
    Perhaps the rookery is intended to serve no actual purpose and is just another form of folly ?
    I thought of that, but:
    1) Then why would so many have them?
    2) Why rooks? Not the prettiest birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lord Suave

Why so many of them ?
    Well follies were quite the rage for large and stately houses in 18th century or so.
    As to why rooks no idea, its a pretty common bird so I suspect easy to get a colony of rooks established maybe. Rooks probally fitted in well with the idea ruins and other gothic things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

There's a place in Streatham Common, London, called the Rookery. It's a flower garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

oh i thought rookeries were actualy avaries,

did anyone see them restoring the pigeon house on communtiy challenge

hmm http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=rookery&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

maybe it describes an architectural perch that birds often congragate on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Large houses and castles tend to have large, deciduous trees around them. Crows like to nest in a group, usually amonst such trees, so a rookery would (and is) often found in such places. That's why you get a large gathering of crows squawking around dusk (very atmospheric), as they all nest in the same few trees. It's called a parliment of crows (or rooks).
    That, and the upper classes had more time to dwell on thef iner points of nature than the down trodden peasants:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I thought of that, but:
    1) Then why would so many have them?
    2) Why rooks? Not the prettiest birds.

1) Because they didn't bother trying to chase a bunch of rooks away all the time?

2)because it is a fictional tale, and the rooks may add a sense of foreboding or fear, given their associations with death, carrion and the like???

Advertisement