Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left work went back to college

Options
  • 20-11-2006 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Does anyone know what benfits i could claim now that i am in college (if any)? I left work at the age of 28 after working of 6 years and returned to college last sept. I though i had enough saved but due to circumstances beyond my control, my funds are running out and i just fear that i will run dry. I don't have a part time job and have just living expences. I tried to apply for the mature student grant from the college, but was ineligible due to what i had in my back account (my little nest egg, thats fading fast).
    I am also not eligable for the grant. But i did get my tax back, that was the tax that i over payed cause i wasn't working for the rest of the year.
    if i don't get something as an income, i'll need to get a part time job i think.
    If any one know anything i would be grateful
    Thanks
    Kevin

Comments

Hey,

You mentioned how you 'returned' to college - were you there before? If yes, did you finish it/get a cert/diploma/degree? I'm asking because there are certain ways you could be eligible or ineligible for the Back to Education Allowance (detailed here [PDF]). Have a look over the first few pages to see if you fit the bill.

You mentioned you applied for the maintenance grant and were deemed to be ineligible - however, your savings are being eaten away. Do a quick calculation, would you then be under the reckonable income limits given at the bottom of this page? If you think that you might be, then you should contact the Student Support Unit or your Council/VEC (whichever one you applied to before) about a change in circumstances. Technically your reckonable income has fallen (drop in savings), and so you may now be eligible for a grant (crazy, I know). If not, don't be disheartened and do apply again next year!

Apart from that, you probably have a tutor or some kind of student services/access office in whatever college you are in. If you're finding hard making ends meet, it might be worthwhile arranging a meeting with one of them. Your college has something called the Student Assistance Fund which can be given out to students facing hardship. The amount you receive will depend on your circumstances.

Any other questions it might be worthwhile contacting the Student Support Unit whose details are here (they were commissioned by the Department of Education to sort out grant and educational finance queries):

The Student Support Unit,
    Department of Education and Science,
    Portlaoise Road,
    Tullamore,
    Co. Offaly
    Tel: (0506) 21363 or (01) 8734700
    E-mail: StudentSupportUnit-Tullamore@education.gov.ie

And finally, if you are thinking about getting a part-time job, consider giving grinds - it's easy money!

Good luck!

/me adds forum to subbed list.

Advertisement