Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I know if I'm entitled to free dental care?

Options
  • 19-11-2006 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm interested in having my teeth cleaned and I think I might need a few fillings, cos I haven't been to the dentist in years now.

I'm not sure how long I've been paying PRSI, but from what I understand if I've paid a certain amount I'm entitled to a free cleaning every 6 months anyway.

Can anyone confirm this or not? Or give me some more information.

Thanks

ps. I'm a taking a year out of college now, so I'm currently working in a hospital doing clerical work, and I'm returning to college next september.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Heya,

Ring the following people:
    WARNING: They will have you waiting for ages so do not ring from your mobile.

Treatment Benefit Section
    Department of Social and Family Affairs
    St. Oliver Plunkett Road,
    Letterkenny,
    Co. Donegal
    Tel: LoCall 1890 400 400 (ext. 4480) / Dublin (01) 704 3000

Steps:
    1. Give your PPS number in clear voice to machine.
    2. Wait for someone to answer and tell them you are making an enquire as to whether you are eligible for dental benefit or not.

Notes:
    Your PRSI payments from 2yrs ago are eligible.

If you were in college 2yrs ago you will need to apply for student credits. You will need to provide a letter from your college stating that you were a student at the college at those times. More info http://www.welfare.ie/foi/creditsaward.html

N.B. If you are still in full time education you may not be eligible for treatment benefit but make sure to ask questions to the person who answers you. They can be quite snotty but don't let this put you off.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Must say I find some of them ok but if there is a snotty one, just end the call politely and ring up again, doubt you will get the same person. If you are over 25, you need nearly 5 years of stamps made up to get the free dental and optical.
    Watch out for some dentists who charge you nearly as much with PRSI as without, my brother paid same for fillings as I did and he had PRSI at time, I didn;t!

Advertisement