Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #23: "You're Living All Over Me" by Dinosaur Jr.

Options
  • 19-11-2006 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the delay in putting up a new album of the week, damn real life getting in the way! This band/album has gotten a few requests so here we go. Not a huge fan of Dinosaur Jr. but maybe you can tell me why you think they're so great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VCK

Dinosaur Jr are amazing! J Mascis is a legend and I was lucky to catch them at Leeds fest last year. Even though Kracked is a fab song, I personally think Green Mind's their best album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

YES!! An Album of the Week that I absolutely love!

Dinosaur Jr. are incredible. Great thrashy guitar riffs, great lyrics, unique sound. Mascias's voice amazingly creates a sense of depressing apathy, hard to descibe, but brilliant. His "sloppy" solos are sublime and fit perfectly with the feeling of their music. Barlow's contribution is less profound, but he crafted amazing songs like Poledo and his screams really do add to the feeling.

You're Living All Over Me is an amazing album. 10 tracks of excellence. Raisans would probably be my favourite song. Such an intriguing song with so many memorable, catchy moments and a sweet solo. Poledo is very experimental and different, but I really like it.

Kracked, Sludgefest, In a Jar... oh fúck it, they're all such brilliant songs..

YLAOM was so ahead of its time, defining an era that was yet to come, yet so underrated. Dinosaur Jr, along with Husker Du, Meat Puppets, Minutemen etc. represent a crucial period of music for post punk/alternative before the grunge explosion. They're so undercredited, but were in fact some of the most influential bands of the 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Very good, very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

i love this album.

such great songs... this was my first dinosaur jr album and it's still my favourite. kracked and rasins are amazing, the guitar playing on this record is great, fuzzy grooves and messy wah-wah everywhere.

i also love 'in a jar' - some of j mascis' best ever songwriting

great album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The amount of posts on this thread has been severely disappointing :(

Can't wait to see Dinosaur Jr on Dec. 11th....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

JC 2K3 wrote:
    You're Living All Over Me is an amazing album. 10 tracks of excellence.

The first Dinosaur Jr. record I heard. Copies of it were passed around school and eventually I got round to buying the LP a few months later, just before Bug came out.

Fantastic album and easily their finest. Not a dull track on it. Favourite tracks are Poledo, In A Jar and Sludgefeast.

My LP has 9 songs - not 10.

Roll on Dec 11!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The CD version added in a cover of Peter Frampton's Show Me the Way. Great song which they didn't play at their Don't Look Back gig. :mad:

This was my first Dino Jr. album aswell. I remember it took me ages to find at the time; it was finally reissued last year.

Great poppy/sludgey sounding album, and one of my all-time favourites. It always reminds me of travelling through the mountains, which is what I was doing on my first listen. Nice anchor. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I worked my way backwards on the Dinosaur Jr back catalogue, starting with Where You Been when it came out, and probably got a copy of YLAOM about 1994. It quickly became my favourite Dino Jr album, because of its many catchy, punky tunes.

IMO, YLAOM is DJs most straightforward indie punk rock album. Songs like In a Jar, Raisans, Kracked and Lose are short, sharp crackers, with DJ sounding tighter than they ever did subsequently. Sludgefest and The Lung are excellent guitar rock wig-outs . "Lose", sung by Lou Barlow, is my favourite song on the album.

It is also the most upbeat of all the DJ albums, in terms of tempo, vocals and style. Although I love J Mascis' guitar solos in general, this album benefits from the fact that he keeps it under control and doesn't go into several-minute epic solos as he tends to do in his later work. Almost all of the songs have a high octane, urgent feel to them, a feature which DJ lost over subsequent albums, when J tended to slow things down. To me, this album sounds more like Sebadoh than later DJ albums. Maybe this was Lou's influence on DJ at the time...

After J stopped recording as DJ a few years back and having heard of the animosity between J and Lou, I never thought that I would get the chance to see what is one of my favourite bands ever perform. The fact that the original line-up has reformed and are playing Ireland in 2 weeks is an early Christmas present for me. I have tickets for DJ in Galway on Dec 12, can't wait !!!

Advertisement