Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combined Credit & Laser Card??

Options
  • 18-11-2006 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Is there any such thing as a combined card??

I want to avail of free banking with AIB but I would prefer a credit card to a laser card as they are more widely accepted and I dont want to have to pay duty on both a laser and credit card.

Is there anyway to avail of the free banking with AIB and getting a credit card rather than the Maestro card??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

bazcaz wrote:
    Is there anyway to avail of the free banking with AIB and getting a credit card rather than the Maestro card??

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but if you want a visa card instead of the laser card then I don't think so.

I have the laser and aib visa card, and "free" banking.

L.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

bazcaz wrote:
    Is there any such thing as a combined card??

I want to avail of free banking with AIB but I would prefer a credit card to a laser card as they are more widely accepted and I dont want to have to pay duty on both a laser and credit card.

I'm not sure what you mean here either. You can't get a combined credit/debit card. They come seperately.

Credit cards are more widely accepted internationally, but for transactions inside Ireland Maestro/Laser is accepted pretty much everywhere credit cards are. Now Maestro is something that you can use more and more outside Ireland, but doesn't have the same global acceptance as Visa credit cards.

You could ask the bank for a current account and state that you don't want a debit card, just a standard Banklink card. Then you would pay just the standard ATM card duty. However, for the sake of an extra 10 euro, the convinience of a debit card might be worth it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Slightly off topic, but I have a Laser/Maestro card, and was delighted to get one after my experience in the UK (where debit cards are standard rather than atm cards).... I was pretty pissed off to see that the standard of Maestro card here isn't the same as in the UK (or anywhere else?) and this effectively makes it useless for online purposes - besides the likes of cdwow.ie which accepted Laser anyway.

Does anyone know if things will be changed any time soon (not sure who needs to make the change) so that the Maestro in my pocket will work on sites like Play.com? I know it still won't be as useful as a Visa, but it'd be a major boost and would probably keep me from having to get my own CC (which I may do anyway for US sites)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I think Halifax may be coming out with a Visa Debit card next yr when they launch current accounts.

Advertisement