Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Summer Of Eighty Three (c)

Options
  • 18-11-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

THE SUMMER OF EIGHTY THREE (C)

set in a night club @ christmas time
    TWO MEN ONE GIRL AND A DOG IN STORY

jim, in his fifties, eddy, in his sixties, alie, late teens, rover,

SCENE ONE

eddy
    how are you jim ? how is life treating you?

jim

keeping the bright side out eddy

eddy

thats the way to do it jim
    jim

we have the pub to our selves eddy

eddy

not like the old days jim ,

when i would be ran off my feet in here

but thats the way it goes

jim

eddy i have a lot of fond memories from the days back in the eighties, when i was the dj here

eddy

and i must say your were a very good dj to jim
    jim

thank you eddy, gee but time flies

eddy

yep thats the way it goes when you are haveing fun

jim

i know eddy, but if i had happy times back in the eighties, i sure had my sorrows as well

eddy

you never forgot about her eddy? gee that alie girl was some beauty, a lot of guys back then would love to have been in your shoes,

jim

out in that floor there eddy, me and alie used to dance to our fave song from the summer of eighty three, as you did your bit of djing for me

(flash back to a young jim and alie on the dance floor)

eddy

what happened jim that ye broke up? ye were like ye were born for each other, real soul mates

jim

that is the question, ive been asking my self for over 22 years eddy, i just dont know why,

eddy

were ye long together anyway jim

jim

for the summer of eighty three, she used to help out spinning the records, but she had one fave song, and it brings tears to my eyes every time i hear it

(flashback young jim and alie)

eddy

thats the way it goes jim,

jim,

the eighties broke my heart big time eddy

eddy

we all have our little sorrows james

jim

i had a sheep dog rover, a few months old when i met alie, he and alie became great friends, she got a lead for him and had him walking everywhere,

sadly about a month later rover died, both of us were heart broken, then when i was just about over the loss of rover,

alie went and left me, oh god i was so heartbroken i could have died, part of my heart was never the same, she had a special sacred place in my heart,

eddy

hey jim why do you think she left you,hardly age difference, you were what late twenties,

jim

ttwenty eight eddy to the day when she left me, what a birthday, i dont know what i said or did not say that made her change towards me?

one day her eyes were telling me she loved me, the next day, oh no, it is too hutfull to even think about,
    eddy

you mean she was with you then just walked away from you without saying why?

jim

that is what i mean eddy, we were dancing here one night , you were spinning you said something comical over the mike about the legwarmers, that a lot of the girls includeing alli used to wear back then,

eddy

you have some memory jim.

jim

for good reason eddy, i laughed as did a lot of other people, but not alli, she looked startled hurt, then pushed me away from her, telling me its over,

eddy

oh sweet jesus dont tell me i was the cause of ye breaking up?

jim

dont be silly man no way were you,

eddy

did you try and get back with her?

jim

did i what, i moved heaven and earth trying to get near to her but she did not want to be near me, so what could i do, but try and carry my cross, and it has been a heavy cross

eddy

at least it proved that you cared for her, to have your heart so broken,

jim

i hope you dont think im away with the faries eddy when i tell you this,

eddy

i wont jim go on, what ?

jim

for the last month or so she has been in my dreams nearly every night, she is with me in the church, cinmea, walking rover like before,

eddy

this is in your dreams right? i was getting worried about you there for a while,

jim

wait till i tell you this eddy,about a week ago i did not feel to good in myself, taught i was going to pass out,

and then there she was in front of me with rover,

eddy

this another dream jim?

jim

no eddy this was real, alie was looking at me with eyes of love, told me everything will be ok soon very soon,

eddy

come on jim you are haveing me on, arent you ?

jim

now am i haveing you on eddy, look out in the dance floor, see alie? she is dancing, look eddy rover is there as well, now she and rover are comeing over to us, dont she look just beautifull, just like before, eddy im so happy, not heart broken no more

eddy

jim will yu please sit over in the armchair there in the corner, and i will get the missus to make us some tea
    alie
    oh jimmy i never stopped loveing you, and im so sorry for all the sorrow and sufferings you had to go through over me, but it had to be, jimmy you will understand why later, come take my hand jimmy, your life is just about to begin,

epilouge

alie and jimmy (looking like he did back in the summer of eighty three) are dancing to the sound of the eightys theme song,

the end

Comments

would it not make more sense if it was 63?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭djeddy

i was hopeing to make film short for the robbie williams film competion about the eighties, so that is why it is sett in the eighties,

djeddy wrote:
    i was hopeing to make film short for the robbie williams film competion about the eighties, so that is why it is sett in the eighties,

why are the two men 50 and 60 then? theyd be in their 30 and 40 in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It needs a lot of work. Gee is overused. Who says gee, other than stereotypical american tourists?

Jim would be 51 (just about). I assume Eddy could be as old as you like, as he was the barman.

Needs a lot of work pet.

:D santa might send me a helper to help poor me out with script :D

• Advertisement

blush what kind of work do i need to do to make story in to film, and make me a star ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What is the actual plot of your play? Is it a one-act, two-act, three act etc? If you haven't mapped that out then it will be difficult for any development to take place and to figure out what exactly the relationships are. Remember as well that most stories/plays etc. go through many rewrites. Good luck.

hi i was thinking of film format, but maybe it could be made in to a play, thanks for good look wishes,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Movies work from screenplays. It's like a play, but with the screen added. Now, before you think I'm being sarcastic, I'm not. Writing for the stage and writing for screen are two very different things. They have different preoccupations and people who can act on stage cannot necessarily act on screen (and vice versa). When writing a screenplay, you can play around a lot more with location and setting than you can on stage - you need to realise the limitations of your setting. But although your basic foundation can be the same, something on screen needs to be a lot more elabourate to get the same effect as a similar event acted well on stage - the main focus will not necessarily be on the actors but rather on the whole screen shot. You need to be able to visualise the words you have written as a person in a place doing or saying something. Pretty words won't make a performable play.

Argh, too tired tonight. Hope I've made some sense in what I've said.

thanks blush for advise yea you have made sence

• Advertisement
Advertisement